Quatro video cards

olokul

I know nothing when it comes to workstation video cards so im turning to OCC for some help.

Im replacing some of our old workstations with some new dell pc's.  The old computers have quadro fx 540 cards in them, the new computers have amd 7470 cards that i would like to upgrade as these computers will be opening cad files.   They will not be making or editing the files just looking at them.  

What would be better?

Move the fx540 over

keep the 7470 in there

or replace both with a quadro 600

Well I don't use cad but I can give you the raw performance

Fx 540 = GeForce 6600

7450 = is a rebadged 6450

Quadro 600 = GeForce 430~

If your just looking at models the 7450 should be fine . the major difference is that firepro or quadros have optimized drivers for those types of programs . I'm guess eithers its going to be a laggy model or smooth with either card because they are both low end

Edit: if I had to choose without knowing cad( which I don't) my bets on the Quadro 600 but I couldn't tell you how much benfit it will have over a 7450. It will however crush a fx 540

Edited by hornybluecow

Just the person i wanted to hear from  :)

Well this is how much our cad guys dont like to upgrade.  They were still runing on Geforce 2 video cards running duct, very old pre cad program.   In the last year we have been able to force them off of their old computers an software to new stuff.

I had one of the guys try and open an .igs file with the 7470.  It does open it but is very slow rendering it,   I think for now ill have him try working with the 7470 and then upgrade it in a few weeks when i can squeeze some more money out of the owner of the company.

I should invest time Iearning a bit of cad since that's most questions I come across. I do know that nvidia cards do much better in cad than ATI . Maybe the newest firegl / gl is doing better . I don't really know for sure .