This is why I like delidding Ivy Bridge CPU's

More seriously, three questions arise:

Are you concerned that dust can get in contact of die since you removed the IHS, or does the Coolaboratory stuff hardens with heat and time?

How does putting that stuff works?

I have seen a review, and they specified that it is not for the faint of heart, as it mimics a bit soldering, because of the hardening and the fastening.

Just curious !

Like Waco said, no need to worry about dust. There's a lot of videos out there, you can see it's nothing much after removing the IHS but cleaning, and putting on some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on the die and IHS. If you do everything correctly, you pretty much have a 0% of messing up.

Are you concerned that dust can get in contact of die since you removed the IHS

Dust won't hurt the die. :)

+1

Hey Cap - do you use the careful and gentle razor blade method to de-lid, or the brute put it in a vice and knock the hell out it method?

What kind of TIM do you usually use after de-lid?

I use the vice and hammer (with wood block), but it's not brute force. It's a gentle tap or two. So far I've delidded eight 3570K's, two 3770K's, and a 4670K with no failure rates.

I use Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra for the die and IHS, and Noctua NH-1 for the TIM with the heatsink.

does it have to be a wood block? can i use something else say a rubber block? i've been looking around for a guide but all of them use wood block... i couldn't find any wood block that is soft enough like pine( i live in the tropics, so soft wood is a rare comodity here :dunno: ) maybe you can post a guide here for all of us with ivy/haswell chip :thumbsup:

The wood block is best because it'll stay solid and flat enough to push the CPU cover off, and absorb the impact of the hammer tap. I don't think a rubber block will work. I think a hard wood block might work, but you might have to give it a lighter tap with the hammer.

There's already a lot of videos out there, but I've got a 3570K delid request in, so I guess I'll make a video of it.

Looking good! I don't think my 3770k can do 5ghz, but I've never taken it over 1.45v yet and haven't messed with it too much so I'm not sure.

15min is a great test for the normal temps you will see, but to stress the loop you need at least an hour. That is when the water temps start to creep up :)

Usually that's the case, but I've got a thick 140.2 radiator and the case is in my basement where the ambient temps are always around 50F, so I don't think the water temps will creep much. If I had a Corsair H80 like with the 3570K, and if I had it overclocked higher with higher voltages, the longer stress testing would definitely show the water temp increasing. :)

• 5 months later...

I thought I'd update. Setting up a budget silent build for one of my friends for his father-in-law. A delidded i5-3570K at 4.6GHz at 1.33V's with only a CM Hyper 212 Evo in push/pull. Tops at 74C after an hour and 15 minutes of Prime95 Blend tests. Ambient temps are around 72F with the heater on (it snowed today).

HS4ozH.png