3D Model of Soul Calibur

ClayMeow

I'm taking a 3D modeling course this semester, so though I'd show off something I'm currently working on. I've messed around with a few things, but this is the first thing I'm actually modeling off of a pre-set design. I haven't done any texturing yet.

First, here is my source image:

457px-Soul_Calibur_%28SC5%29.jpg

This is the Soul Calibur sword as seen in Soul Calibur V (the latest game in the series).

Here is my Perspective View:

sc_persp.jpg

Top View:

sc_top.jpg

Front View:

sc_front.jpg

Side View:

sc_side.jpg

Wireframe in Perspective View:

sc_wire.jpg

As you can see, my poly count is probably way higher than it should be if I actually wanted this to be in a game. I was more concerned with getting the design right rather than keeping my poly count low. Again, I'm new to this and poly count isn't something my professor is concerning us with at the moment.

Wish I timed how long it took me...probably a couple hours. I worked on it a little yesterday and then again today. Taking a break now, but I'll come back to it and try to detail the hilt and make the face on the sword, though the latter may be too difficult for me.

Looking pretty good. Few more tweaks and it'll be set. Are you only allowed to use Maya for it just to get a hang of modeling?

Yeah, we're learning Maya exclusively. We're allowed to use Photoshop and Illustrator for textures and 2D templates, but the professor didn't mention any other programs.

great job! yeah the poly count is high but a normal map would take care of that. are they teaching you zbrush or mudbox at all?

I don't believe so, I think this semester is just strictly Maya. If I enjoy it and am good enough, then I'll be taking Advanced Animation I & II next year...not sure what we'll be using in those. Troy said the face on the sword would be easier in Zbrush, but I don't want to start dabbling in another program I don't need for class. Maybe I'll play around in the summer.