New Steam Badges, Cards and Ratings

Stonerboy779

And so it begins...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the plus side, badges equating to tangible in-game rewards means the cards for said that game will most likely be valued higher on the market. On the other hand, I certainly don't like content being held back. As long as the content is aesthetic and/or available for purchase without crafting cards, I guess it's okay.

So how long before L5 TF2 Badge gives a hat or L5 BL2 Badge gives a skin?

Well, you can always purchase the cards, which helps with the Dragon ship. However, I do believe that the requirements here are too high. A level five badge requires getting 35 trading cards, for this game, and as the devs point out, you cannot collect all those on your own; you must trade with or buy from others multiple times. That or be really lucky and get a foil drop, before your fourth card drops, per badge-crafting. (Would really be nice if we knew some numbers for foil drops, such as if we can even expect one to drop while getting those 35 for the gold ship.)

I like the idea, but I feel like this execution is going to limit the content to only the most dedicated players, who are dedicated without these rewards. Now if crafting each badge unlocked something and there was a mechanism to get a complete set without having to purchase or trade cards, then I'd really like this. For now, more meh than anything.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it begins...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the plus side, badges equating to tangible in-game rewards means the cards for said that game will most likely be valued higher on the market. On the other hand, I certainly don't like content being held back. As long as the content is aesthetic and/or available for purchase without crafting cards, I guess it's okay.

So how long before L5 TF2 Badge gives a hat or L5 BL2 Badge gives a skin?

Well, you can always purchase the cards, which helps with the Dragon ship. However, I do believe that the requirements here are too high. A level five badge requires getting 35 trading cards, for this game, and as the devs point out, you cannot collect all those on your own; you must trade with or buy from others multiple times. That or be really lucky and get a foil drop, before your fourth card drops, per badge-crafting. (Would really be nice if we knew some numbers for foil drops, such as if we can even expect one to drop while getting those 35 for the gold ship.)

I like the idea, but I feel like this execution is going to limit the content to only the most dedicated players, who are dedicated without these rewards. Now if crafting each badge unlocked something and there was a mechanism to get a complete set without having to purchase or trade cards, then I'd really like this. For now, more meh than anything.

You can get foil cards at any time (albeit a very small percentage), it has nothing to do with having a Level 5 Badge (or even a Level 1 Badge). Of course you'd be highly lucky to get even one foil, and foil cards go for over a dollar apiece, easily - Beat Hazard foil cards currently go for $2-4 apiece, depending on the card! So even if you're extremely lucky, you're looking at spending over $10 (not counting trades, which I hope people would try to do instead, but who knows...people be crazy).

Now I should note that this doesn't really count Booster Packs, but I think the way Booster Packs currently drop just makes it so the rich get richer. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, your Booster Pack drop chance increases every ten levels. I'm only level 15 and I just got my second Booster Pack. But there are a couple of (insane) users that are already Level 100. It's quite possible they're now getting a Booster Pack more often, like every few days or at least once a week. But they've obviously spent a lot of money to get that high (or had some extremely generous friends), so like I said, rich getting richer.

But Valve doesn't care about how "broken" the system is because they get a cut of every Steam Market sale. And because the devs get a cut too, I can guarantee that Beat Hazard will NOT be the only game to start offering tangible rewards.

Apparently the BH trading card thing has been tweaked. The Gold Ship skin is now the Mini Gold Ship skin, making it different from the skin connected to a Steam Sale; the Dragon Ship is now just a skin, with no score modifier (perhaps that needs to be patched in); and now both unlocks are tied to badge level, instead of foil cards. The Mini Gold Ship unlocks with a level 1 badge while the Dragon Ship unlocks with a level 5.

Personally, I'm happier with this. Much more reasonable for both rewards.

Apparently the BH trading card thing has been tweaked. The Gold Ship skin is now the Mini Gold Ship skin, making it different from the skin connected to a Steam Sale; the Dragon Ship is now just a skin, with no score modifier (perhaps that needs to be patched in); and now both unlocks are tied to badge level, instead of foil cards. The Mini Gold Ship unlocks with a level 1 badge while the Dragon Ship unlocks with a level 5.

Personally, I'm happier with this. Much more reasonable for both rewards.

Agreed. Having a Level 1 reward is much more sensible and reasonable! And even better now that they're both purely aesthetic.