Bulldozer Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally... and done.

Btw, what's the max temp of the CPU? 81C seems high for an AMD chip.

I wonder if PhenomMSRTweaker would prevent that throttling from occurring?

No temp and power consumption comparisons?

Finally... and done.

Btw, what's the max temp of the CPU? 81C seems high for an AMD chip.

I wonder if PhenomMSRTweaker would prevent that throttling from occurring?

No temp and power consumption comparisons?

Overclocking...Power consumption..........

I can look at including them next go round!

Not sure but I can try it. Cooling 8 physical cores with big volts is pretty tough any way you look at it. 81C indicated in TurboV was the point where it throttled. In overdrive the temperatures were lower so that 81C number will be flexible depending on the program you use to monitor the chip temps. Turbo V was the recommended application.

the conclusion I have come to is this:

when compared to intel sandybridge it is a failure

when compared to it's predecessor the phenom II, it is on par, does not raise the bar, and therefore does not push you that far.

hence, it is also a failure.

a new product should take the problems and weaknesses of its predecessor and revamp them, solve them, and increase performance.

the phenom II series never had a problem with the amount of cores available.

however, I could be wrong.

perhaps this first generation of processors was just needed to build the frame work and an improvement of 20% is otw

I really don't believe that though, and with the management shuffling going on at AMD, they probably don't believe it as well

the conclusion I have come to is this:

when compared to intel sandybridge it is a failure

when compared to it's predecessor the phenom II, it is on par, does not raise the bar, and therefore does not push you that far.

hence, it is also a failure.

a new product should take the problems and weaknesses of its predecessor and revamp them, solve them, and increase performance.

the phenom II series never had a problem with the amount of cores available.

however, I could be wrong.

perhaps this first generation of processors was just needed to build the frame work and an improvement of 20% is otw

I really don't believe that though, and with the management shuffling going on at AMD, they probably don't believe it as well

Here's the thing, they are using a forward look to try and take advantage of future applications. In Win 8 there is a boost from what I have read but not having tested it I can only go with what I have read. Win 8 is not released or ready for prime time so what happens with a beta build may not be reality. In apps that can use the new instruction sets they may well outperform the current levels of performance.

From everything I have read and seen Piledriver is supposed to being back some of the giveaways. A die shrink of thuban may have been the best choice to please the masses but in heavily multi threaded applications in a server environment this thing may just shine!

Everyone seems to try and redeem it with the multi threaded application of the bulldozer 8-core cpu, well imo would not sandybridge-e blow it out of the water with two i73960Xs easily overclocked to 5th on water running 12 physical and 12 virtual cores...

However from a price point buldozer far cheaper. Unfortunate for the most part that it seems like sidestep on current amd CPUs

Looks like it turned out alright. I really did not expect a "gasp" from the bulldozer...But I don't know about going the whole full-platform thing. Its nice, but could potentially turn away buyers who might think "oh my system doesnt have this AMD or that AMD. I might as well go "this brand" and "that brand" and so on...You know?