Have you had an OCZ SSD fail or have to be RMA'd?

potatochobit

50 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have to RMA an OCZ Vertex2 or Agility2?

• Yes, a 60GB OCZ
    • Yes, a 120GB OCZ
    • Yes, 160GB OCZ or Higher
    • Yes, a Different brand, up to 128GB
    • Yes, a Different brand over 128GB
    • No, all my SSD drives work great! (anybrand)
    • I did not get my rebate from buying an SSD! (anybrand)

I keep an old 500GB drive around as a backup OS drive

I had one but I saw that they go for $40 so I decided to sell mine on eBay :(

I have actually rescued some of my SSD's from the not recognized by the BIOS issue before you just need another hdd with windows on it , and a hdd enclosure. Obviously if you have fried the controller on the ssd this won't work, but essentually you can put the ssd in th eenclosure boot into windows plug the enclosure into the usb port let windows find it. after it does do a quick format on it. Reinstall it into your controller. Use a USB boot drive to boot into Secure Erase tool, and secure erase the drive. Should be all good, until you corrupt the data again.

Good post. If I ever run into this problem again *knock on wood* I'll be sure to try that out.

Conclusion to my OCZ RMA.

A couple days after submitting my ticket along with answering some questions I was able to get a RMA authorization. I sent in my drive and after a couple days of receiving my drive they sent me a brand new replacement from Taiwan in 3 business days! The whole process took about 2 weeks. I am completely happy with OCZ to say the least. My drive was about a year old and is 2 generations old so I was surprised to get what I think is a new replacement retail drive of the same model.

Edited by heero884

Just had the Agility 2 in my netbook buy the farm late last night. It would boot then blue screen. Hooked it up as a slave drive and ran Chkdsk to find that the OS was corrupted and unrecoverable.

I have a vertex 2 60gb and vertex 3 240gb. The vertex 3 had a lock up issue, where windows would lock up for 20-30 seconds at a time. Upgrading to firmware 2.09 fixed the issue. Haven't had any problems since the firmware update. (actually I fixed the problem myself before firmware 2.09 came out by setting W7 power settings to performance and HDD: ALWAYS ON, but I think 2.09 addresses the lock ups)

So two good OCZ drives for me.

I have no experience with SSD and have not had the courage (at current prices) to try one. The host of bad experience posts keep me from the adventure. The closer they get to $1 per GB the more adventurous I feel.

FIRMWARE 2.11 is out for SATA3 DRIVES

I've seen reported BSODs even with this firmware. Quite a pain in the butt for those who have problems :angry: I have a Vertex 2 120GB and still no problems at all.

my ocz agility2 died while i was at work, i dont have time to mess with it with my new job and all, i wont be on for a while untill i can get a replacement as all my machines are down at the moment, i refuse to use my sisters net book for anything besides important stuff, like banking and taking care of email, its way to small and my hands are to big, so its super annoying

• 2 months later...

first ocz drive ( ground to a halt after 2 days of stress testing mysql ) i RMA'd took 6 weeks to replace ( 30gb solid series ) but got replaced with 30gb agility, which is still running 12 months later. second drive ( 30gb agility ) was replaced in less than 7 days. i now have a 60gb vertex2 that is less than 2 months old and now the bios dont detect it. ssd's are great if your machine to run at the same speed regardless of fragmentation, but can put up with the fact that they die like flys.

• 4 months later...

well, I turned my computer on the other day and it didnt turn on :(

got this ahci error, remove disk or other media

I bought the drive in 2009 so it lasted over 2 years, I guess that's good?

It was a 60GB Agility 2

anyway, I'm in the middle of processing the RMA

Ill probably buy another series 3 OCZ drive though, don't want to wait

using an HDD with windows pains me, I must be spoiled

• 4 weeks later...

to update on a status, the RMA still has not returned, anyway, I had knew it would take a long time so I ordered a new drive

a few weeks ago I got an OCZ Agility 3 120GB

interestingly, when I plugged the drive in I got this ahci error, remove disk or other media

lmfao...

hmmm, I tore the whole computer apart and removed the cmos battery for awhile and the error went away

now I am wondering if it was actually a faulty SSD or a problem with the motherboard or just the cmos had to be re-cleared

EDIT:

lol I got a new drive in the mail just now

it does not appear to be the one I sent them, this is a new retail package that is shrink wrapped, I have not opened it yet though

Edited by potatochobit