Wireless Acess Point Calculation

Jklein

Ok I have a customer who needs a network installed in a building there turning into a private school. The problem is it used to be a tasty cake factory. It's walls are to thick to lay wiring inside and the florrs/ceiling are reinforces stell and concrete. So I called up Cisco and they recommended doing a w ireless acess point on the top floor to cover the floors and then a router in the basement. okay so I need my math checked.

the height of the each floor is 20ft the length and with are 200 and 150 feet which means were talking a calculation of 200ft*150ft*20*4= 2,400,000 which would be 2,400,000 cubic feet. Am I correct in the math and concept?

If the floors are concrete and steel I'd say you would need a hard wired wireless router on each floor of the building, you may have to run the wire on the face of the walls and just use a cover to hide them. Wireless signals do not play nicely with concrete.

What about using the excisiting hvac duct work and using plenum fiber optic cabling because assuming those are new computers were talking about 100/1000 ethernet cards so we have to assume there all 1000 so were going to need a switch with a back plane to handle that not even cat7 cabling to the switch will do that.

Edited by Jklein

I would be very careful using a HVAC system, they often have mechanisms for controlling fire, smoke etc. so if these are blocked and unable to deploy, there could be a safety implication if cabling is prevents the mechanism from closing.

If there are sockets would it not be possible to use the electrical supply to provide a connection, it may be a little expensive but it would possibly be the simplest and easiest way to do it.

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hispetovacpo.html

No way we could ever accurately advise you on this with the amount of information provided. I would actually recommend you bring in a network engineer to do an evaluation before making any decisions. If you decide to go wireless at least a proper wireless survey needs to be done first. As for using the HVAC system to run wiring I highly discourage that as that is typically against building fire codes. In buildings like these I will normally do outside wall wiring conduit to run my cabling.

I do this sort of thing for a living and would be more than happy to help, but unless there is something I am missing it sounds like you may need more than just advise from an internet forum.

Nerm I actually have someobody doing the wiring survey and yes this is one of my first jobs in a situation like this normally I fix wiring or I have MDF and IDF points to work with this used to be a tasty cake factory. So the problem is there is no layout done. I know I'm going to need to lay the wiring but the only ways would either be through the hvac or I would have to drill through the walls and lay it outside or through a floor that's reinforced steel and concrete

Edited by Jklein

Without existing conduit to use in a situation like this I would suggest drilling through walls and putting in your own conduit and do a whole new data/voice infrastructure build out. Do you have floor plans with existing electrical, hvac, and other utility schematics for planning such a build out?

If this is going to be a school, that means a lot of wireless devices and the need for some hard core wireless setup. Unless you are experienced with setting up these types of arrangements do yourself a favor and hire in a pro at this. Not cheap but will save you on some massive headaches.

Without existing conduit to use in a situation like this I would suggest drilling through walls and putting in your own conduit and do a whole new data/voice infrastructure build out. Do you have floor plans with existing electrical, hvac, and other utility schematics for planning such a build out?

Nerm I will absolutely have access to the plas before we start and I found an engineering firm that can help me get the survey done and they have the equipment to drill through the floors or the wall if necessary. I was never foolish enough to be doing this alone I have done a layout like that beofre normally I go in when new computers need to be hooked up but all the main wiring and the MDF and IDF is setup.  Also ED once the wireless survey is in place the company will recommend the layot they think is best but they already told me with the walls being so thick and the reinforced steel and concrete they almost always recommend wiring. Also since the offices were probaly on the upper floors there should trenches from phone wiring and the such in place so worst case we might just have to widden them a bit.