RAID 1+0 with SSDs and HDDs

Penti

First of all, sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but when I checked, didn't find anything, and dunno if my situation is unique or something..

Is it possible to have RAID 1+0 by using 2 SSDs for RAID 0 then using HDDs for RAID 1?

I've read somewhere that a guy was using 2 256GB SSDs then 4 2TB HDDs for RAID 1..

What if I want the following, what RAID should I be using:

1. 512 GB SSD in RAID 1+0

2. 2 TB in RAID 1

3. 2 x 2TB not in raid

?

Does this mean I need:

1. 2pcs 256GB SSD + HDD greater than 512GB (or 2TB HDD)

2. 2pcs 2TB HDD

3. 2pcs 2TB HDD

?

Can someone show me what the guy was doing when he used 2 SSDs and 4 HDD while having a RAID 1+0 setup?

Thanks in advance

I don't think the guy was speaking right because to raid anything you need I have drives the same size or its gonna at least shrink to the smallest size. It will also run at some werid speeds if you get it to work. I think the guy ment raid 0 for the ssds and raid one for the 4tb drives.

You can do raid-0+1 and its basically settling up a raid and than having another one mirroring it. So you would need 4 ssds drives and you have better raid options than that.

You can do it...but it'd be a total waste. Your SSDs would be hamstrung by the HDDs and it'd be as slow as 4 HDDs.

Waco here again (jumped on the HTPC and don't feel like logging BP out) - but after thinking further I think this is more what the guy meant:

4 x 256 GB SSDs in RAID 10 (1+0, or 0+1)

2 x 2 TB drives in RAID 1

2 x 2 TB drives in JBOD

Running RAID 10 on SSDs is a bit of a waste IMHO - you're losing half your space and half your bandwidth by doing a mirrored setup in any form. Set up a good backup strategy like Windows backup every week and backup to the other drives and forgo the mirrored part of the SSD array entirely. This will cost you half as much if you want a 512 GB SSD boot drive...though I'd still suggest a single larger SSD for both reliability and ease of recovery should anything actually go wrong.

As for the rest of the drives, I'd stick all of them in a RAID 10 if you have the capability of doing so.

So, in the end, you'd have this (if you want 512 GB to boot from and a 4 TB data array):

1 x 512 GB SSD

4 x 2 TB HDDs in RAID 10 (1+0 or 0+1)

I thought as much, most likely I didn't understand properly that he did RAID 0 on the SSDs and RAID 1 on the HDDs, but refered to it as RAID 10.

Anyway, since SSDs wouldn't necessarily need to be on RAID 0, I guess it's alright if I do just a single SSD and be done with it.

But if I'll be using HDDs for storing files, isn't it better to do RAID 0 if I already have 2 idenical 2TB HDDs and don't need the redundancy of RAID 1? It'll be the same as using the 2 for a total of 4TB, whether or not I have them in RAID 0 or not..

If you run RAID 0 you will lose ALL of your data if either drive fails. I've lost large drives in the past but thankfully I've always had backups and/or RAID in place to save me.

I didn't think of that, thinking I could always replace those files.. Another question:

I have a 256GB SSD, I can't do a RAID 1 with a HDD because the capacity wouldn't be the same and the SSD would suffer from the slow write times of the HDD. Is there a way that my SSD would always be backed up to a HDD without having to schedule a backup every day/week/month? Something like RAID 1 which is instanteneous, but without the lag of the HDD writing times..

Also, is there a way to have my 2 2TB HDDs show as one 4TB drive without using RAID 0 so I wouldn't have to do some file management, while still maintaining their independence, losing one drive only destroys the files on that drive and everything on the other is still maintained?