Seasonic X-460 or Kingwin Stryker STR-500

Seasonic is the best though. Also is it better to install the psu fan side up to increase case exhaust or fan side down to get a direct supply of cold air to cool psu? And whats the best 120 and 140mm fans for quiet operation regardless of cost?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Laststop

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasonic is the best though

:pfp:

best quality always? no

best value always? rarely lol

Here is a better option PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver for $90 after MIR with free shipping.

80+ silver rating

7 year warranty

750 watt single 12v rail design

dual ball baring 135mm fan with thermal control

If it was available in aus I would buy it but alas no......

The x750 is $60 more..... still worth it?

Edit: just install it so it's in it's own separate zone to the case.

Edited by Stonerboy779

the corsair 550d doesnt have seperate zones its just 1 large area on the inside. According to silentpcreview.com and the anechoic chamber they use to test noise the seasonics are so quiet on any load 400w or less they are quieter than the anechoic noise floor of 10db. They are the quietest psu's out of all of the ones they have reviewed. I just feel better going with the seasonic name and I can almost 100% guarantee that power pc cooling psu will produce more db of sound than the seasonic as there isn't a single psu that beats it's less than 10db measured sound.

the corsair 550d doesnt have seperate zones its just 1 large area on the inside. According to silentpcreview.com and the anechoic chamber they use to test noise the seasonics are so quiet on any load 400w or less they are quieter than the anechoic noise floor of 10db. They are the quietest psu's out of all of the ones they have reviewed. I just feel better going with the seasonic name and I can almost 100% guarantee that power pc cooling psu will produce more db of sound than the seasonic as there isn't a single psu that beats it's less than 10db measured sound.

You won't hear the PCP&C PSU running unless you really load it down. I have the 950 watt version and it's literally inaudible from more than a couple feet away from my computer. The only time I ever notice it is when I shut my machine down, since the fan will stay running for a few minutes to dissipate any heat remaining in the PSU. I only notice it because my machine is off, but the PSU is not. :lol:

You're serious right?

You guys believe and pay what you want.....

:pfp:

best quality always? no

best value always? rarely lol

Here is a better option PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver for $90 after MIR with free shipping.

80+ silver rating

7 year warranty

750 watt single 12v rail design

dual ball baring 135mm fan with thermal control

If it was available in aus I would buy it but alas no......

The x750 is $60 more..... still worth it?

Edit: just install it so it's in it's own separate zone to the case.

Which is again, Seasonic made :teehee:

I guess he's just Seasonic biased like me. :biggrin:

The $60 would be a long term investment for power efficiency.

Edit: Scratch that, I though it was the Mk II

But Stonerboy is right though. Seasonic isn't the only brand that has that feature and isn't always the best.

If it was me, I would grab a Seasonic unit anyday if I can afford it. But I can't so I ended up with a FSP unit.

Anyway back to OP's question, Noctua is the best fan in terms of noise IMO and they move a considerable amount of air. If you want silence, you can't go wrong with Noctua fans.

But have you actually seen the 550D? Those noise dampening material are ridiculously thick and I really doubt that any fan could maintain high airflow through those things. Also, those things are so thick that I think you'll not even hear a single thing when you use Noctua fans.

Also, I noticed that your friend is going to use a passive cooler for the CPU? It's the fanless PSU all over again. Passive cooled components are meant for a case with good airflow whilst the 550D would have restricted airflow when the sound dampening material are used. Just some food for thought.

Edited by vandreadstriker

Considering that even 30 dB is extremely quiet...who cares if it has a very slight sound of air movement. :lol:

The 550D is an awesomely quiet case...but if you add fans to the top/sides it loses a lot of the quietness. I wouldn't do a fanless PSU or CPU cooler in it though - there's not enough air movement to keep things cool.

Which is ridiculous because of the actual time it would take to make that much back.....

Exactly.

Any decent PSU is going to be 80% plus anyway...and the highest efficiency PSUs are in the high 80s to low 90s. It will take a LONG time to make that up on your power bill.

the cpu cooler isn't passive it has fans and remember this system will be run at complete stock, infact may even run the cpu at stock speed and even lower than stock voltages and remember ivy is 18 watt less tdp than sandy. 2x 120mm + 1x 140mm intakes and 1x 140mm exhaust should be more than enough to cool an undervolted stock cpu with a zalman cnps cooler and ASUS Direct CU III triple slot gtx 680 running stock. I am confident that at stock speeds and possible undervolting 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan is enough air for the case.

Low voltage ram will be used as well.

Actually I know for a fact this is more than enough air to run this at stock as I had an old 3.8ghz pentium 4 system and a geforce 6950 I think and all that dell used to cool it was the fan on the psu as an exhaust and nothing else and it worked.

Edited by Laststop

If dell can cool a pentium 4 system with stock heatsink and a high end geforce gpu (high end back then) all with 1 exhaust fan than 3 intakes + 1 exhaust will cool this no problem. I'm pretty sure ivy bridge chips will give off less heat that the old pentium 4's which were notoriously hot. So if 1 exhaust fan worked for that well there ya go.

Yes the temps will be a little higher than the extreme cooling most overclockers use. But they will fall well within acceptable limits and it will be MUCH quieter than these extreme cooled and OC'd systems.

I guess this isnt the best site for quiet pc building, everyone here wants extreme cooling and oc'ing as #1 priority, not noise

low voltage ram gives off a tiny bit less heat than regular voltage. Every little bit helps when you dont have extreme cooling in place.

Edited by Laststop