GPU folding causing laggy web browser

ir_cow

has anyone else run into the problem where the web browser lags around while the GPU is folding? it's really bugging me that now i cannot fold unless i am not using the computer at all. everything becomes just a little sluggish and firefox becomes mostly unusable on flash heavy sites like here at OCC.

Not sure which tab it is under but there is a checkbox for 'Hardware Acceleration' in the options menu, I'm pretty sure if you disable it you'll be back to normal.

This exactly

Also do you have an SSD as a primary drive? If so there is another more advanced setting I would recommend you use which forces Firefox to cache to ram instead of disk.

This is a pretty common side effect when folding on GPUs. I stopped with my 4870X2s back in the day because anything hardware accelerated would slow to a crawl and be extremely laggy whenever I was folding.

okay i'll disable the options in firefox. it's just odd i never noticed this before this GTX 570, the 200s didn't lag or did a 450 i had running for bit.

bigger work units i'm guessing is the problem.

okay i'll disable the options in firefox. it's just odd i never noticed this before this GTX 570, the 200s didn't lag or did a 450 i had running for bit.

bigger work units i'm guessing is the problem.

More likely the GPU3 folding core is causing this. It uses more CPU resources than the GPU2 does (pre-Fermi cards). Although that doesn't explain why the 450 wouldn't be affected. I know I was getting lag back when the work units were small and fast for my 570. Now they are big and long, but actually give a higher PPD.

I was noticing the same yesterday. I normally dont fold on the system im using (or while Im using it) but was doing some browsing on one yesterday and it seemed unusualy laggy..

• 5 months later...