Gaming Keyboard

Endevor

I'm looking for a keyboard with a backlight so I can see at night as well as look cool, and I want programmable keys. I've seen a couple with LCD screens, and that would be a nice touch, though not a necessity.

I've been looking at the Logitech G510 for a while now. I love all the features it comes with, but I've heard enough complaints about the spacebar not working well. Also been told it doesn't have a usb port which would be kind of nice to have. I've read somewhere about having a soundcard pass-through, not really sure what it's talking about so if someone could explain that, that would be awesome.

All in all, anyone have experience with this keyboard, or would suggest something else?

I preferred my Microsoft Sidewinder x6 over any of the logitech keyboards I've used.

I've also heard good things about Steelseries but can't give you a personal recommendation on them, though I may purchase one as my next KB.

Get a real keyboard aka Mechanical Keyboard. Steelseries does indeed have good keyboards, but they don't have backlights or any silly extras. Just solid keyboards... which is what you want unless you're looking for a really expensive flashlight/usb hub/insert additional useless stuff here. Mechanical keyboards also give you n-key rollover which means you can press as many buttons as you want and they will all register as being pressed. That's only for ps2 port though. USB port only gives like 6 key rollover.

Just note that if you do decide to go for mechanical kb you should read up on the different types of switches as each one offers a different feel. My recommendation is MX Red switch as it is the lightest amongst the cherry switches and it's a linear switch so your fingers will supposedly get least tired from these keys (all mechanical switches take less force to actuate than the rubber dome which is what you have now). Some people like to label different switches for either gaming or typing or hybrid, but generally that's all non sense since it's mostly personal preference, plus, the reds work perfectly well for both gaming and typing even though they are "gaming" switches. I personally find them to be superior.

A quick newegg search came up with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816002 I find it's a waste of money for all that excess stuff that's not required for the keyboard to function. 

Here's what I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201044 Good price for a basic keyboard. It does what it's supposed to so I'm happy. As far as I can remember it's always been at a discount so that's nice. 

Same model but with MX Black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201045 This one has free shipping. MX Blacks are the same as the Reds except they take more force to actuate which I don't know why anyone would want. 

Edited by sack_patrol

I used to have the blue Logitech G15, then the orange one, great keyboards, but i think for a bit more money the G510 would be your best choice  

Or for a shit ton of money get a razer black widow : http://www.razerzone.com/eu-en/store/choose/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-2013?utm_source=RazerStore&utm_campaign=blackwidow2013&utm_medium=rsfp_mainban_eu

Please for the love of God do not get me started on Razor...

For mechanical backlit with macro keys...

Corsair Vengeance K90

Thermaltake Meka G Unit

Both are very solid...

If you are not getting mechanical then the

Thermaltake Challenger Pro is actually a really nice keyboard. As is the Microsoft Sidewinder X6 which is now very hard to find.

If you can live without the macro keys and want the most durable and in my opinion best backlit keyboard right now on the market, I would suggest the Deck Legend. This is what I use, my keyboard is 18 months old and been put through HARD use and still looks almost brand new. Not a single letter has worn, or smudged, crisp as the day it arrived. The backlighting is near perfect. Might cost a lot but in my opinion is worth every penny.

After reviews and opinions, gotta say, I changed my choice to a Razer keyboard, that was until I started looking at prices... I also found a G510 on sale and ended up getting it for 40$ and so far I'm loving it. With the money I saved, I also got a RAT7 mouse. All in all, I'm happy with my setup and it's much better than the 20$ wireless combo I was using. Thanks for all the advice!

in short: razer sells overpriced trash that's advertised as gaming equipment hoping for ignorant people to buy said trash. 

the truth is that most of the time, the best gaming equipment isn't advertised that way at all. It's just a solid piece of hardware that some company made because they are a good company that is trying to deliver a quality product all around.

• Like 1

Hell, Monoprice has mechanical backlit keyboards.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401

If you go with a mechanical, do some quick research into the types of cherry MX switches if you don't have the option to use on real quick to get a feel for it. Some types click, audibly click, and some are just smooth action with different resistances.

I've yet to dislike something I've gotten from monoprice too. I personally have a green backlit Mionix mechanical (Black Cherry switches) that I like, the backlight isn't blindingly bright at the highest setting, and it doesn't remember your backlight setting during reboots, but those a the worst things about it.

Actually, the fact that it doesn't work through PS2 is annoying, if you care enough about it being a gaming keyboard for the sake of gaming, use the PS/2 port instead of USB if you can.

Effectively it's the same, but what's that matter right? The difference is the keyboard through PS/2 port interupts the computer to say 'This key has been pressed', and the USB polls the keyboard and asks what keys have been pressed. So, even though if the USB poll rate is 1,000 Hz the difference is going to be less than 1 millisecond, you still are demanding the computer to take notice when using the PS/2 input. Which I like because it shows that computer who's boss. Oh, and using the PS/2 is the only way to get true N-Key rollover ( if you feel like sitting on your keyboard, the computer can tell every key that is pressed, instead of calling it quits after 5 simultanious keys or whatever the keyboard specifies)

Dam*........... I should have bought a nice keyboard when I went to the United States...

I always wanted a keyboard with lights (not to show off) for playing without lights (that is always a problem with a normal keyboard)

I don't care if it is mechanical or not. In fact I have no idea what is a mechanical keyboard. I had always normal keyboard and playing a lot and being used by my sister (mega-chat-machine) they just don't break.

ps: I don't think any real gamer needs one of those or those super mega-man mouse with 1.000.000dpi. Standard should be enough for good players. It's just for crazy enthusiast just like the mechanical keyboard (now i'm reading on a website what are them). It talks about "the preccission a gamer needs".. how much preccission do you need to play with a keyboard ROFLMAO! Is a suegeon tool? No, just to play and have fun.

Apart from that I have never tested one of those. Yeah perhaps would be great to have one of them. It might be very good anyway. Seems like a new technology.

Edited by Fragsman