System locking up under load

So my friend is having a problem with his system freezing up on him. What happens is occasionally when its under load it will just completely lock up and start playing a load buzzing sound through his speakers. It always does it after a few minutes of prime95, and occasionally during demanding games like BF3 and Far Cry 3. I'm almost sure its not temperature related, as it did it while his core temps were still below 70C. I assume it has something to do with his CPU, memory, or motherboard, but we want to be sure before he sends it off to deal with iBuyPowers RMA system. These are his relevant specs.

i7 2600k at stock

As-Rock p67 pro se

2 x 8 GB memory

GTX 560 2GB

650W power supply

Did he try setting internal PLL voltage to Enabled and he may need to manually set some of the voltages. After that hard of a crash it may be running at all defaults in the BIOS.

If it happens under load something is not getting enough juice or is getting to hot.

My GTX 670 cards would cause similar issue, the screen freeze :whoa:  with loud buzzing in speakers,.. The crash dump files showed graphics card..  if cards were idling for more than 20 min. Screen Freeze/Buzz! , if running with a slight load or full load cards were fine. Always Check your Crash Dump Analysis for clues,.. Most likely causes are Malfunctioning Hardware,.. Drivers, settings, Power Failure, V-Core adjustment needed,.. or Thermal issue.

Edit :

It's not always something your throttling or running @ 100% that is causing the issues,.. you could be chasseing your tail looking blindly for a fix,.. when your answer may be on a printable savable file,.. in your dump files. :slap:  

Edited by Braegnok

This is Hippi friend, he showed me this topic, he made. I thought that by signing up I could help get this solved by talking to you as well, I ran memtest and for some odd reason the program wouldnt work at all, so I skipped using that as I already dont think the ram is the issue. I tested the harddrive using segate seatools for windows. I also used prime95, this is where i found the issue, I ran the program along side running core temp to see how hot my cpu was getting it did not pass 85C, and all of the sudden i got the same results like i was running a game, where it would lock up and make the humming noise out the speakers, I had to hard re-boot the pc, funny thing is it seems to only do this when under load. AS of right now I have reinstalled some drivers using sim tools and have been using prime95 for about a few mintues and so far i seem in the clear though it took about 10 for it to lock up when using prime95.IM starting to think that drivers might have been the issue, coretemp shows that the pc is under 100% load on all cores and im not having an issue, but like i said it takes about 10mins. I will edit this post again when i think 10mins have passed. But drivers dont make sense, I upgraded to win 8 about a month ago, and i have had the pc do this to me while running windows 7, and since i bought the PC from iBuypower, it had everything installed i would think. 

Here a screenshot of using prime95 after 10mins of testing. http://imgur.com/aKz0A last night i ran the program and it froze up, but with the new drivers like the ss it seems fine?

Edited by Ziraider

Okay the fact it is happening in Prime 95 gives you some knowledge out of the gate. Prime 95 is not going to pull on the video card so we can knock that out. This leaves; Memory, CPU, PSU or possible motherboard.

Based on what you have posted I would start with the PSU. It very well could be a marginal PSU issue.

I would suspect PSU as the culprit here. Generally freezing happens with bad or partially bad PSU. May be you should try out some other PSU and see the whether you system freeze or not.

Shure, malfunctioning hardware,.. drivers or settings was vary likely the cause.  If your stable for 24 hours then chances are you solved issues. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Braegnok

I guess we will find out, lol. Well Thanks for the help I guess. I just would never think that since I had installed them it was the problem.

Keep us posted about the result of your problem.