PowerColor 4870x2 in CF

Braegnok

You could never combine GPUs like that for computation wwithout very specific programming. Folding, IIRC, has never supported multi-GPU configs except for running a client for every core.

I tried severial configurations, in V7 and V6 with no luck,.. I was hopeing to run quadfire with one GPU client.

But seems to not have the bandwidth, set up will only run as 4 gpu's running a client for each core.

So I'll be switching back to the 7770's, I dislike the old V6 profiles, and running 4 small gpu's is no gain in PPD, compaired to running two 7770's with V7 everything is automatic,.. simple with less hands on setting up. 

Edited by Braegnok

I agree, folding doesn't run on multiple GPU's. But wonder why? I thought it was due to the lack of Bandwidth in CF, is it sending data back and forth that just does not work with multi gpu's.

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks, :thumbsup:  maybe someday down the road ATI will get off there duffs and perfect it, by rewriting the code and put NVidia back in the stone age. 

It would be great to fold on CrossFired or QuadFired single client,.. blazing through WU's

Edited by Braegnok

Told ya it'd be more trouble than it's worth but good effort!! :P

I was gonna see if I could dig up my old 4870x2 folding configuration folders (where it would technically work automatically for you if you just launched, but only the one card since I only had one 4870x2)

Man that was a royal pain in the backside, to get both cards folding, and then like you guys said not worth all the trouble. There was nothing automatic with them old cards except the loud fans and 90+ temps. :lol:  

Edited by Braegnok

• 2 weeks later...

Im surprised to see this post. I fold too and I never got my HIS 4870 to work with F@H. I gave up after a month of trying and switch to a HD7770. After not getting good results I switch to a MSI 660ti PE. So so much better.

I also ran benchmarks between the HD7770 vapor-x vs the HIS 4870 1GB and the 4870 won more then i thought it would. I had to OC my CPU for the HD7770 to win. Just food for thought. The 660ti kills both of them in benches and F@H.

Edited by Cyberburnout

Im surprised to see this post. I fold too and I never got my HIS 4870 to work with F@H. I gave up after a month of trying and switch to a HD7770. After not getting good results I switch to a MSI 660ti PE. So so much better.

I also ran benchmarks between the HD7770 vapor-x vs the HIS 4870 1GB and the 4870 won more then i thought it would. I had to OC my CPU for the HD7770 to win. Just food for thought. The 660ti kills both of them in benches and F@H.

These cards are not a 1GB 4870 card,.. they are dual 4870 GPU cards with 2GB 512-Bit GDDR5 and 3200 stream processing units per card. A single card out performs my 2GB Asus 7770 cards hands down not even close, and with two 4870X2 cards in CrossFire you basically are showing 4-4870 gpu's in QuadFire, with the correct configurations, settings, drives and a mild overclock, two 4870X2 cards in CF will benchmark at a single HD7970 level. But they use twice the power consumption and run vary hot, with loud fans, as expected for a 2008 card compared to a 2012 card.

Edited by Braegnok