Steam Encryption

Cespenar

This seems an appropriate place to ask:

My 13 year old grandson keeps playing Skyrim when we have to lookafter him. He's not allowed, but he saves and then I have to delete what he saves, hoping I don't stuff up my own saves.

I dont want to stop him from playing games in total, just my Steam titles.

Do any of you know how to make Steam and it's associated games encrypted, or something like that to stop him?

Can't you just log out of your steam account when he's there? I'm assuming, from what you said, that the games you allow him to play aren't on your Steam account?

Another suggestion, in case you can't find what you're looking for, you can try backing up your saves before he arrives, it's kind of tedious I know but it's what I have to do for Minecraft when my nephew visits.

Just create a guest PC account and don't let him use your account. That way you can limit all programs and files he can and can't access.

This could work well, you could just password your account and he couldn't access it, then you're free of worry

Can't you just log out of your steam account when he's there? I'm assuming, from what you said, that the games you allow him to play aren't on your Steam account?

Another suggestion, in case you can't find what you're looking for, you can try backing up your saves before he arrives, it's kind of tedious I know but it's what I have to do for Minecraft when my nephew visits.

Logging out of Steam could also work, but you would need to make sure you logged out every time he uses the computer, so I would stick with the first solution myself, but it's up to you and it does depend on the circumstances

Stoner, I created a guest account, and it seems to be on the right track. Steam stuff doesn't show up on the desktop but Origin does. (Meaning Battlefield 3)

Is there a way to make a list of programs the guest user can access and lock out all the others?

By the way, thanks for the replies. I did ask the Steam forums but no replies yet.

Yea there is away probably accessible through right click and properties but personally I haven't had to bother with any of this. A bit of Google searching and just general mucking about should help you work it out.

Setting up permissions Origin should help with that. Here's a link on how to do that. Just click on his username and deny him all read/write access to Origin and any things that got through. Also make sure his account doesn't have administrator rights and that you have a password on yours. Otherwise he just have to click on "Continue" on the pop-up prompt to bypass this method.

For future use:

I believe when you install programs, the installer will ask you if you want to install this program "Just for you" or "Everyone." Everyone would install it for every user account created on the computer.

Edited by AZNguyen

Setting up permissions Origin should help with that. Here's a link on how to do that. Just click on his username and deny him all read/write access to Origin and any things that got through. Also make sure his account doesn't have administrator rights and that you have a password on yours. Otherwise he just have to click on "Continue" on the pop-up prompt to bypass this method.

For future use:

I believe when you install programs, the installer will ask you if you want to install this program "Just for you" or "Everyone." Everyone would install it for every user account created on the computer.

I started my PC this evening and had a series of problems. Comp not shut down properly, BSODX2, Windows repair. So, guessing that the little t**d tried to gate crash my account, I am banning him from my comp altogether. I have been to soft, and he wont do as told, so he has done his dash. Thanks for the help and tips people.

Regards and wishes from Cespenar.