Best Screen capturing software?

ir_cow

like the title says, anyone know the best screen capturing software? I've used a bunch of free ones in the past and either limited to 640 and or MPEG. I'm looking for something to has a wide range of options (free or not).

thanks,

Xsplit comes to mind, and is actually a pretty good alternative to Camtasia if you don't want to pay tons (~$40 for a 2 year personal license, also includes the ability to stream). I use it for recording most of my YouTube videos and while there is a performance hit (duh) its pretty solid.

If I have to think of a downside to it though, is that it saves everything as .flv so its harder to edit then most things.

Since everybody else is talking about versions of the product where you HAVE to pay, currently Xsplit is in Open Beta (not sure how much longer that will last, has been for a long time now) and is free. You do lose out on a few features (you have to use Speex audio codec if you don't pay and the "game source" option won't work) but if you just need to record your desktop it should be fine.

Since everybody else is talking about versions of the product where you HAVE to pay, currently Xsplit is in Open Beta (not sure how much longer that will last, has been for a long time now) and is free. You do lose out on a few features (you have to use Speex audio codec if you don't pay and the "game source" option won't work) but if you just need to record your desktop it should be fine.

Version 1 release April 12th. Then I don't think it will be free any longer.

If you're talking about recording your desktop then i'm not much help. But another for recording games would be Xfire. Works ok for most games and it's free.

i'd vote fraps as well i have used it for years, and it's super cheap. Also every time he upgrades it, you don't fork out more money, 1 purchase for the lifetime of upgrades. if you need to capture extrenal then i'd reccomend the happauge capture devices, they are pretty awesome. I use the HD-PVR to stream on twitch from xbox, and ps3.