Room Temps get hot the computer shuts off

Geek - I never asked for, ahh never mind :mfp:

DanTheGamer - No, not a desert, near the sun, so to speak. It just will looses the signal at random, if it's really hot, it happens frequently, if I open all the window and the temp outside is cool, it can last for hours upon hours without shutting down.  I think the card which can get hot without being near the sun (GTX 480) is as mentioned and what I suspected before starting this thread, over heating.  Maybe it has burned out circuits, who knows if that would be the case cleaning the card a hundred times wouldn't solve the situation, it would only delay it as I've been doing with allowing more cool air in the environment. 

I used to have the same problem with my old system. Whenever I played a "heavy" game the monitor would lose signal and the system needs to be shut down. I wasn't able to pinpoint the problem, since I could run individual benchmarks/stress tests of the RAM/GPU without any problems. But I suspect in my case it was either a dying GPU or PSU.

You should post your system specs, temps, voltages etc. so we can take a look at it though.

OP, you have to realize. that with the information you have been given, even with my post. You have all the information needed to make a conclusive decision

if all of our help leads to NOTHING being helpful, you have to realize the baseline is Your ambient temp is too high for your config.

Underclock is your only option IMO

Edited by cirro

cirro - As far as I can remember I never overclocked the GPU, it has been a while. What program could I use to make sure ?

This is really odd, I've had the same computer in hot room environments for year(s) and this never happened, until the past month and a half. As I said, unless something is burned out and when the room temp gets to hot, it triggers the overheat and shuts off. 

LQVNMTz.jpg 

I've run a $1000 graphics card at 100C for over half an hour before I realised the fan was stuck at 40%, and it didn't even crash (only throttled to half clocks) - The wonders of modern day hardware.

I've run a CPU at over 90C because the pump on my old H100 gave out and it still didn't crash before I realized what the problem was.

I've also never had overheating cause a monitor shut off, nor had it change my BIOS boot sequence so it could be something else that is causing this strange problem.

I assume your GPU is a GTX480 (yes, notorious for being hot but it can withstand high temperatures). What is your CPU ? 

Does the problem occur at idle or at load ? 

And a shot in the dark, but your PSU isn't one of the ancient ones that uses power from the PSU instead of via a power outlet ?