Game that takes most hard disk space

Jump4h

Just adding to the list of DD haters. I will never buy DD games unless that is the only means of getting them. If i buy a game i want permanent ownership over it, Steam goes down, you lose all those games you only download when you want to play. If it was a 90% markdown and i really wanted the game i might consider it, but i would still try to make or get a physical copy. Hard drives fail, companies go under but if you look after them disks last.

My $00.02

While you have a point that if steam fails, games could become unplayable, except for the fact that Valve has stated they would fix that problem when and if it arrives. Also it doesn't just apply to steam anymore. This goes for a lot of games out there now because of the way companies handle DRM and other things. For example, should Ubisoft go down, Assassin's Creed 2 is useless, or should EA go down, then Battlefield Bad Company 2 is useless. A lot of these big companies require some kind of online activity in their games now, whether that be DRM like in AC2 or registering an account with EA servers.

It's not just big game publishers either, think about what could happen if something like Gamespy died, a game like borderlands is no longer multiplayer.

Now I'm not saying the developers couldn't release patches or something to allow people to play the games still, but I personally have never seen the question come to them, nor have I seen an answer as to what they would do. Steam has an answer for that question though. Honestly though, I think some of these companies would take the games down with them, we've already seen how some of them are trying to take away the ownership of games for console gamers by not allowing players to resell their games, and I mean it hasn't happened yet but they certainly have an interest in doing it.

Also, I don't know about 90% sales but I do know that steam has had 80%+ sales. I'm not sure what that matters to some people that live in a big city but to someone like me, who lives in a small town, it's no contest between that and regular jacked up price at gamestop. So it's a pretty big deal for someone like me, who only has a choice between $50 at gamestop or $33 on steam.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic