Corsair Vengeance 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Headset Review

bp9801

Earlier you saw our review of the Corsair Vengeance 1300 analog headset, now it is time for the USB version. See how it compares as OCC reviews the Corsair Vengeance 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Headset - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_vengeance_1500/

Looks like a good headset to me, I wonder how the 7.1 sounds as it was listed as a con. Good sound is very important for headset for me.

Unfortunately, the surround sound really didn't come through for me. Although the left and right were very well defined, the front and back kind of melded together either into left or right or "the middle". This of course affected multiplayer much more than single player as surround sound adds immersion in single player but is a tactical advantage in multiplayer. The quality of the sound in multiplayer was still very full, but the surround sound just wasn't there.

Though Skyrim is a little less reliant on the quality of the surround sound, I still found the surround sound features of the headset to be very lacking. I found the same problem here; front and rear sounds were very poorly distinguished.

Indybird explains it fairly well in the review, I think.

I have the hs1s and in terms of working parts they are carbon copies of the vengamce 1600 and I can tell you the surround when properly tweaked has poorly if at all distinguished front and rear soundstage.

If improperly set you can loose sounds all together I noticed this in skyrim because for somereason if I centered someone, I think it was. There was a point directly in front of me where sound didn't exist at all playing with the virtual surround. Went through some setting got it working better but still not great.

That being said after playing with it a little I continued to keep using the headset for skyrim because it still offered alittle bit of immersion and and at the $50 I paid for it I can't complain too much.

It's not hard to see why the "7.1" surround didn't really pull its weight - it's a stereo headset. No matter how much processing you do you just can't duplicate positional sounds without actual positioning.

It's not hard to see why the "7.1" surround didn't really pull its weight - it's a stereo headset. No matter how much processing you do you just can't duplicate positional sounds without actual positioning.

yeah, it would be interesting to see what the taimat can do, but cause it has many smaller drivers stereo performance may be lacking