OCC Review: Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard

OCC Review: Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard

Small, wireless, and packed with a plethora of useful features. These are some of the more common traits in the keyboard that most people desire. For me, it has been an ongoing search for the perfect keyboard, but I still haven't found the keyboard of my dreams. Could Logitech's diNovo Edge be the keyboard that many of us are looking for? Will it prove superior to other popular keyboards on the market? Let's go ahead and see what this keyboard offers that others don't. We'll be examining this keyboard very thoroughly to get a good idea for what type of user the keyboard is ideal for and just how practical and useful it is.

4_thumb.jpg

Supposedly exposing it to bright sunlight makes the volume flip out, and the touchpad is inaccurate. I wouldn't buy one of these for my main PC, as I have a desk, and I wouldn't buy one for the HTPC, as you shouldn't need to use a mouse - and it's just an expensive gimmick. A bit pointless, if you ask me.

You don't consider a $200 price tag a con? Yikes!

:withstupid:

I don't care how nifty it is, $200 is a LOT of money for a keyboard.

Looks slick, but I hate compact keyboards.... and then there is the lack of a number pad which I find disturbing.

The whole point of the compact-ness is because it seems to be designed for HTPC. I'm probably going to be picking up a similar keyboard with touch-mouse built in for the odd times that I need a mouse on my MCE computer. This is a bit too flashy for my needs though, since the whole point of MCE is to not need a keyboard. If you're using a keyboard with your HTPC enough to justify spending $200 on it, then your HTPC sucks :)

Not unless you also want to use it as a regular PC on your giant TV screen, which is definitely something I would do with an HTPC.

Plus, when you're one of those type of people who have no problem spending over 3 grand on an HTPC, $200 for a keyboard is no big deal. I know that if I were to get the Niveus box, I sure as heck would want a flashy keyboard to along with it ;)

The whole point of the compact-ness is because it seems to be designed for HTPC. I'm probably going to be picking up a similar keyboard with touch-mouse built in for the odd times that I need a mouse on my MCE computer. This is a bit too flashy for my needs though, since the whole point of MCE is to not need a keyboard. If you're using a keyboard with your HTPC enough to justify spending $200 on it, then your HTPC sucks :)

I happin to dissagree with you verran i thought the hole point of a HTPC is to be able to access the internet and all of your media from your couch. More than half the time my pc is a HTPC and a keyboard and mouse is a must. Espcially sence i have a big 42inch lcd as my screen as of yestorday :).

Any keyboard that breaks the $100 mark should definitely have price listed as a con. When something is well beyond the average price someone pays, how can that not be a con?

I happin to dissagree with you verran i thought the hole point of a HTPC is to be able to access the internet and all of your media from your couch. More than half the time my pc is a HTPC and a keyboard and mouse is a must. Espcially sence i have a big 42inch lcd as my screen as of yestorday :).

I think the difference here is our definition of the term "HTPC". IMO, hooking a PC up to a big display does not make it an "HTPC". It makes it a "PC with a big display" :P

When I say HTPC, I mean a PC that runs primarily in the MCE menu system (or other equivilent). The whole idea of the MCE menus was to make all the HTPC functions operable solely through a remote. By doing so, the system becomes more than just a PC hooked to a TV. It becomes a homemade TiVo. The whole point, at least for me, is that a non-PC-savvy friend can grab my logitech remote and watch what they want. If my mother, for instance, wanted to watch a video on my TV and I handed her a mouse and keyboard... I'd get some very unapproving glances :)

So with that in mind, perhaps you can see why to me, the quality of a true HTPC would be determined by how little the keyboard and mouse are needed.