ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 with 780 GTX 3GB or Asus Crosshair V Formul

Which combo would you go with?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 with 780 GTX 3GB or Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z with 770 GTX 4GB?

• Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z with 770 GTX 4GB
    • Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 with 780 GTX 3GB

Looking for some opinions on which board and GPU combo to buy. The ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 with 780 GTX 3GB ($56.74 more) or Asus Crosshair V Formula-z(out of stock everywhere I would buy) with 770 GTX 4GB? I will be doing a dual  monitor setup on this and plan on playing some MMO and BF4. The majority of use will be adobe photoshop and VPN into work. I was wondering what your opinions were either way. I think ROG sounds cool but I am not sure how much I would actually use it. Seems like once your overclocking is set to something stable you would just keep it there. 

Planning on pairing with these components

FX-8350

Crucial M500 480GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD

THOR V2 case

Corsair 760i ps

H100i cooler

DDR3 1866 32GB

Edited by Gottlich

Or if you can think of a better motherboard and GPU setup. I havent built a PC since my Q6600 with GTX 550 Ti and it has been a champ.

Also considering the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 with the 780 GTX.I have never had a gigabyte motherboard and hear good things just not sure which would be better for my setup.

Edited by Gottlich

Strictly because of price differential and the out of stock condition on the Formula, I'd personally pick between the Sabretooth and UD5 boards.  They appear to be pretty close in price once you figure in shipping or free shipping (at Newegg anyway).

My last two personal builds have been based on Gigabyte boards and I've been 100% happy, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Gigabyte board.  But I know there are a lot of Asus lovers too.  I'm not much on the color scheme of the Sabretooth boards though, so that might have some bearing on your choice too.

All the boards have the same AMD chipset and the same southbridge.  The UD5 gives you one more PCIe 2.0 x16 slot than either of the Asus offerings, however the Sabretooth has 4 USB 3.0 ports versus only 2 USB 3.0 ports on the UD5.

It might just come down to whichever you think has the best long term reliability and customer support.  And if that were the deciding factor, I'd go with Gigabyte all the way.  There are a lot of users who will heap praise on how great Asus support was, but there are also a lot of users who will attest that Asus support was horrible.  On the contrary, every time I've needed assistance from Gigabyte on a motherboard or on a video card they have been stellar.

yeah I think support went downhill when they became a joint venture with gigabyte. I have been pretty lucky with asus and havent had a gigabyte in 10 years but I liked them before. As far as colors? I am not sure why people care about matching colors. It must be a younger generation thing. With my Thor V2 case you will not even be able to see it. I work at micron so my memory will be ballistix blue anyways. I think the support you receive is directly related to your knowledge of the products. I am leaning towards the GTX780 with the sabertooth.

GTX780

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM2JP58/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sabertooth

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDJHWM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER