Upgrade time - Z77 or X79

Current system is: Asus Maximus Gene Z, i7-2600K and I use a 120GB SSD for caching.

Current video card is an old GTX260 which I will also upgrade at some point. The plan is to give my mother board and CPU to my son, which allows me a chance to upgrade. I overclock mildly, play a few games (BF2, COD4) and use SolidWorks.

Some say the Z77 is plenty, although it is a dead end. Others say that for a little more $ (for the X79), you can get the quad channel ram, 40 PCI lanes, and option to bump up to a 6 core monster CPU, and have a system that will be relevant for several years.

I am happy with what I have, but if I make the jump, does it make more sense to go with an X79 platform? I do like the X79 Sabertooth...

Edited by red454

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't upgrade everything, just replace the video card and your set. If you must upgrade I would go with the 1155 again. No point of going 2011 unless you really need 6 cores.

I have a 2600K/2700K, 3770K, and 3930K all overclocked. As hornybluecow said, just upgrade your graphcs card. I would not consider even a 3930K an upgrade over even a 2600K, just a slightly better sidegrade over a 2700K. With overclocking, the 2600K/2700K are great at 4.9GHz+, which any 3770K and 3930K can't get to easily with good voltages or temps. Temps are mostly an issue.

Well, a little more info - my wife's computer is dying, and the plan is to transfer my son's i7-860 and motherboard to her. That leaves an opening for him, which would be my current MB and CPU. Which then leads to an opportunity for me. Everything gets recycled and starts a new life. Sort of a win-win-win.

Well, in that case, it's basically up to you. If you can find a good deal on a 3930K and motherboard, I'd go for it, otherwise, I'd spend the extra savings from instead of getting that, on getting another 2600K/2700K and Z68 or Z77 motherboad and add that to a graphics card.

Good point(s). I suppose a 3770K and a Maximus Formula would be a combination that would still be relevant in 3 or 4 years... Seems like a $200 video card would be fine for a casual gamer such as myself.

If you're going for a $200 gaming and Solidworks card, then go for a HD 7870. Gaming is slightly faster and slower than a GTX 580 depending on the game, and will do much better than any Nvidia card for Solidworks.

What do you and your son do on your computers?

Me: mild gaming (COD4, BF2) and since I work from home it is also a work computer. I use SolidWorks. The system I have now handles everything. I know the video card is weak. And perhaps most games in the near future would be fine on my current system with a better video card. Oh - Folding for me too. Lots of Folding.

Son: Games (Team Fortress, various Steam games) - lots of game emulation - coding. All he wants to do is write code. Visual Basic, Java, etc.

Edited by red454

yeah upgarde only if you need x79 is for workstations and 6 cores which game can you think will use that most of the games only uses 4 cores and you are asking between the latest and the greatest ill go for the z77 with 3770k or 3570k go for the latest