Corsair 550D Mid-Tower Case Reviewed

Nemo

The top and side panel both allow for two 120 or 140mm fans each.

The case should allow for coolers that are 160mm tall, but a top fan on the side panel may not work. You wouldn't need the top side panel mount anyway if the cooler is right up next to it. The top of the case can fit standard sized radiators, so there won't be an issue with fans that are 25mm or even 38mm thick.

ok thanks, so a top 120mm fan may not fit on the side panel, what about the other two available options on the side panel, the 200mm fan at the midle middle and the 120mm or 140mm lower on the side panel ?

thanks for the reply

Edited by rem451

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok thanks, so a top 120mm fan may not fit on the side panel, what about the other two available options on the side panel, the 200mm fan at the midle middle and the 120mm or 140mm lower on the side panel ?

thanks for the reply

A 120 or 140mm on the bottom part of the side panel should be fine. Possibly a 200mm as well, depending on how far down the CPU cooler sits.

This case was not designed to mount a 200mm fan. Support holes are in the top and side panel for 120/140mm fans as stated in the review. I did not have any additional fans on the case when it was reviewed but...

There is however plenty of space to mount two fans in the top without the CPU cooler being in the way.

I will have to agree with bp on the side panel fan idea -- you my only be able to mount the lower fan of the twp spots. The cooler fans are about flush with the rear fan in the case which doesn't leave quite enough room for a fan on the panel there -- though plenty of clearance for the cooler.

Hope that helps you figure things out...

This case was not designed to mount a 200mm fan. Support holes are in the top and side panel for 120/140mm fans as stated in the review. I did not have any additional fans on the case when it was reviewed but...

There is however plenty of space to mount two fans in the top without the CPU cooler being in the way.

I will have to agree with bp on the side panel fan idea -- you my only be able to mount the lower fan of the twp spots. The cooler fans are about flush with the rear fan in the case which doesn't leave quite enough room for a fan on the panel there -- though plenty of clearance for the cooler.

Hope that helps you figure things out...

hey thanks for the reply :)

if you see on the side panel 3 types of fan can be installed in 3 position, 1 top 120mm or 140mm 1 on the middle i think its 200mm maybe could be 180mm i m not sure but its not 120mm or 140mm for sure and one lower same as the top 120mm or 140mm, i wish you had additional fans to test it, anyway i 'm thinking the same, its better to fit just one lower, thanks for the help

A 120 or 140mm on the bottom part of the side panel should be fine. Possibly a 200mm as well, depending on how far down the CPU cooler sits.

yes, that was my thought too, where that cpu cooler sits in order to see if a 200mm could be installed, anyway, now the review take over we can't test it, thanks

I think you'd be better off with a 140mm in the bottom spot anyway. A large fan would probably get in the way of the CPU cooler as mentioned already and I'm pretty sure the sides of the fan would be wasted since there really isn't a 200mm hole.

I think you'd be better off with a 140mm in the bottom spot anyway. A large fan would probably get in the way of the CPU cooler as mentioned already and I'm pretty sure the sides of the fan would be wasted since there really isn't a 200mm hole.

i agree

do you know if the fan connectors are 3 pin or 4 pin?

My P182 is getting a bit old now, this case is in serious competition with the P280 for my next case. My main concern for a case, is which will fit 38mm fans in at least the exhaust positions. The P192 cannot handle a 38mm top exhaust fan and a full-size tower cooler. I've tried it, the 8-pin CPU power conflicts with the fan.

My P182 is getting a bit old now, this case is in serious competition with the P280 for my next case. My main concern for a case, is which will fit 38mm fans in at least the exhaust positions. The P192 cannot handle a 38mm top exhaust fan and a full-size tower cooler. I've tried it, the 8-pin CPU power conflicts with the fan.

Unless you have a massive heatsink or a weird motherboard -- but I think you ought be able to plug in your CPU power prior to mounting the fan and be alright...

Unfortunately I don't have a fan of that caliper to test it out for you, or I would...it's a great case. You could always just buy different fans...I am curious as why you want to use the 38mm fan so bad?

Unless you have a massive heatsink or a weird motherboard -- but I think you ought be able to plug in your CPU power prior to mounting the fan and be alright...

Unfortunately I don't have a fan of that caliper to test it out for you, or I would...it's a great case. You could always just buy different fans...I am curious as why you want to use the 38mm fan so bad?

I can almost get a 38mm thick fan to fit in top exhaust of the P182, it's just a tiny bit off. My reason to prefer 38mm thick fans, is that they offer greater static pressure, which is ideal for restrictive environments. My point being, I could probably fit those fans in the 550D, because it is designed to fit their H100 radiator. As a cooling geek, this is rather exciting to me. :P