My brain is funny.

Waco

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found how to do it - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120214160953AAa0DAp

Who tries to solve maths problems by ...

counting the number of circles in the number series. WTF !!

You must have a wierd non-arithmetical way of solving maths problems to solve this one if you are seeing it for the first time like I did

Explanation.

The digits in each number is worth a specific value, and we add the worth of each digit to get the value of the complete number.

1,2,3,5,7 = 0

You can see this from the 1111=0, 2222=0, 3333=0, 5555=0, and 7777=0.

Lets remove these digits from the numbers then. Going to remove the numbers which are equal to 0.

8806=6

6666=4

66=2 (was 7662)

0000=4

89=3 (was 8193)

8096=5

0=1 (was 1012)

9999=4

6=1 (was 7756)

68=3 (was 6855)

As we can see, 0=1, 6=1, 9=1 (from 9999=4). Let's remove those digits and their worth. Removing numbers just composed of 0, 6, or 9.

88=4 (was 8806 and 6-1-1)

8=2 (was 89 and 3-1)

8=2 (was 8096 and 5-1-1-1)

8=2 (was 68 and 3-1)

Now we have the complete worth values.

0=1

1=0

2=0

3=0

4=NA

5=0

6=1

7=0

8=2

9=1

The number we want to find the worth for is 2581. Looking at our worth table, 2=0, 5=0, 8=2, 1=0 so 0+0+2+0=2.

Nyt beat me to posting.

You must have a wierd non-arithmetical way of solving maths problems to solve this one if you havent seen it before

Actually I never noticed the solution you found; I did find an arithmetical solution :lol:

I failed to figure it out last night, I've never been good with math anyway, except for binary math, I excelled in that when we did it in my computer class, can't say I remember a bit of it now though. :lol: I figured the solution couldn't really be mathematical though is pre-schoolers could solve it, though I'm still very curious as to which pre-schoolers this was tested on, most I know don't even have their ABC's down, much less the ability to count.

Actually when I saw the answer posted last night I looked back and thought it was 2+5-8+1 and giving 2, and I think that just proves either how terrible I am at math or how terrible I am at math when tired, I'm thinking it's the latter though. :lol:

That's kinda neat actually.. Took me about a minute and I'm pre-coffee.

I see now why kids are supposed to get it faster than adults.

Explanation:

Nevermind, just noticed Nyt already posted this.. Grr

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Actually I never noticed the solution you found; I did find an arithmetical solution :lol:

The circles answer is arithmatical, too. And it's technically the exact same process: Find the true value of each digit. This problem is by nature arithmatical in itself: It just tests for pattern detection, which is something that can't be taught but must instead be naturally possessed.

Check it against your own (by checking the final actual values you posted.)