Gaming rig $400 confused about cpu+Mobo and Gpu

khaledbinhamdan

^ not a bad idea. Swapping in a new graphics card once in a while is easy, a new mobo and cpu though...you don't want to do that very often.

Agreed. New video card just means wiping the drivers. New CPU and mobo is a bit more involved, so yeah, going with something like the i5 4690K and a Z97 board is the way to go. The HD 6790 will still be fine until something new comes along.

Thanks for the reply

Now i am thinking of used HD 7990 i saw it for around 250 to 300 usd on ebay. If you gaus have any suggestions of where i can find it for a cheaper price please let me know.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ not a bad idea. Swapping in a new graphics card once in a while is easy, a new mobo and cpu though...you don't want to do that very often.

Agreed. New video card just means wiping the drivers. New CPU and mobo is a bit more involved, so yeah, going with something like the i5 4690K and a Z97 board is the way to go. The HD 6790 will still be fine until something new comes along.

Thanks for the reply

Now i am thinking of used HD 7990 i saw it for around 250 to 300 usd on ebay. If you gaus have any suggestions of where i can find it for a cheaper price please let me know.

If you have that much of a budget you could get a new GTX970 or HD290X...or save money and get one used.

Thanks for the reply

If you have that much of a budget you could get a new GTX970 or HD290X...or save money and get one used.

According to the reviews i saw HD 7990 is faster than 290x.

Thanks for the reply

According to the reviews i saw HD 7990 is faster than 290x.

This is true but on that note there are probably many different SLI or CF configurations that you could also say the same thing about. I am biased in that I owned a 5970 and the card's immense performance potential was all but wasted by its abysmal Vram. Ever since then I've been all about the "best single GPU" for your money. And right now you can't beat the GTX970 or R9 290X...(ESPECIALLY the used 290Xs they are stupid cheap right now)

My last few budget builds used i5s.

They are more expensive then the AMDs, but the motherboards are cheaper as well so its not as bad as it looks. If you don't need to OC the Quad core 4460 is 3.2ghz for $180 and will beat any AMD for gaming (sadly...I love AMD but they are very far behind right now with CPUs). A good quality motherboard can be had for ~$80 for that socket so you are really only less then $50 more then an AMD setup for a LOT more performance.

Even the 3.0ghz 4430 i5 is more then enough, but the price difference between the 4460 is only around $10 for the extra 200mhz so why not?