just finished the most difficult PC repair to date

jdm_freek

so my sons Acer predator G was updating and we had a power outage and fried the motherboard so I figured I would just go bUy and MSI z87 m replace it and figured it woulD take no more than half an hour.

I ended up having to take the entire computer apart front panels back panel side panel top panelbut it is now up and running after this experience I will never buy a pre-built desktop again

Edited by jdm_freek

it looked like a standard case but upon tear down one side panel and the top were one piece

and to make matters worse there was another plastic panel on top  that needed to be removed first

and proprietary plugs that i had to mod pew............. 

it looked like a standard case but upon tear down one side panel and the top were one piece

and to make matters worse there was another plastic panel on top  that needed to be removed first

and proprietary plugs that i had to mod pew............. 

Lol well you survived, shoulda took pics of it all apart so we could join in on the fun!

• Like 1

Lol, believe it or not some of the small form factor Acers are worst than the mid tower.

They've got nothing on some of the Vista era HPs.  Back when I worked with other idiots I went into work on day with a note from the night before "Hey we couldn't get this one back together after replacing the HDD" with a pile of parts that appeared to roughly be an HP slimline only the pile was bigger than the mid tower it was stacked against.  

I've never had to do any hardware repairs on the Predator line, but I seem to remember taking a look inside and being glad it was a software issue on the last one I saw, If memory serves me right (and chances are it doesn't it was a rats nest of wires.

Just wait until you decide to mess with laptops, some of them will make you scratch your head as to what idiot though putting X or Y in whatever spot was a good idea (seriously Dell can F-off with their HDD/WLAN card locations on PCs like this Inspiron 15R "Replacing the HDD" starts with do steps 1-15 of replace the motherboard, replacing the motherboard is only 16 steps and the last one is remove the memory card reader...)

• Like 1

Lol, believe it or not some of the small form factor Acers are worst than the mid tower.

They've got nothing on some of the Vista era HPs.  Back when I worked with other idiots I went into work on day with a note from the night before "Hey we couldn't get this one back together after replacing the HDD" with a pile of parts that appeared to roughly be an HP slimline only the pile was bigger than the mid tower it was stacked against.  

I've never had to do any hardware repairs on the Predator line, but I seem to remember taking a look inside and being glad it was a software issue on the last one I saw, If memory serves me right (and chances are it doesn't it was a rats nest of wires.

Just wait until you decide to mess with laptops, some of them will make you scratch your head as to what idiot though putting X or Y in whatever spot was a good idea (seriously Dell can F-off with their HDD/WLAN card locations on PCs like this Inspiron 15R "Replacing the HDD" starts with do steps 1-15 of replace the motherboard, replacing the motherboard is only 16 steps and the last one is remove the memory card reader...)

My 15R is super easy to replace its harddrive :teehee: but my microITX HTPC machine was a fair bitch to reassemble when I swapped the APU in it. I don't know why people would willingly subject themselves to that (regarding all the buzz about microITX gaming machines), midtower+ ftw.

Edited by IVIYTH0S