Diablo 3

tkrow21

Its an interesting idea to be honest, players could in theory live off the game and have that as their main source of income...

Make money playing video games? Is that a dream come true :whoa:

We'll have to wait and see how quickly and how active people adopt this. I highly doubt I will spend anymore than $5 on it as I do with most micro-transaction games, excluding League of Legends ($50 total). Although I do hear stories of F2P players spending like $500-600+ in micro-transactions on one game :D

Edited by Krazyxazn

You serious? D2 is NOT moddable like how WC3 is. Sure, there are mods for it, but not like how there are for WC3. You can't even compare those two, way different levels of modding. I've played D2 since it came out and I never played a mod. But for WC3 (also played since it came out), I have played tons of mods, custom maps, campaigns, etc.

So because you didn't nobody did? :P I happen to really enjoy Median XL for D2 - it's the only reason I still play. WC3 is indeed a totally different level of modding. Hell, I don't think I've played a vanilla WC3 game since I bought it. :P

And for the cash to upgrade stuff, who cares? If people want to spend their money on something virtual in a game, who are you to judge? I am 100% certain you have made some purchases that other people would deem stupid. Lastly, you can buy gold in WoW. Same exact concept.

When you're at a disadvantage because someone spent $50 to pimp out their character it makes the game a lot less fun. And sure, you can buy gold for Wow. You can also get your account disabled / items removed doing it which deterred a LOT of people from ever trying.

The thing is, of the remaining players on Battle.net for Diablo II, most of them do use websites like d2jsp to carry out transactions for items. This means your reasoning for the game being less fun because "someone spent $50 to pimp out their character" is broken since it holds true in Diablo II as well, regardless of scale.

Regardless, I still think that it's a terrible decision to not buy Diablo III just because of the real currency auction house.

I don't want to get owned just because some arse decided to spend a bunch of money to skip what made D2 fun - item runs and time investment.

You say that Diablo II was fun because of item runs and time investment. Your phrasing combined with the fact that items runs and time investment are still possible in Diablo III implies that you want to skip out on having your own, and completely achievable fun just because someone else isn't having your own definition of fun. (I find this to be incredibly illogical).

In addition to this, by saying that item runs and time investment are what made Diablo II fun, you're saying that PvP was not an element of fun in Diablo II for you, which means that you won't be "owned just because some arse decided to spend a bunch of money" since you'll be sticking away from the arena in Diablo III anyway. (You can't declare hostility in normal lobbies).

With the marketplace you can simply buy your way to a good character and I find that hilariously stupid. Why spend money to skip playing the game?

I really doubt they're spending money to skip playing the game. It's far more likely that they're skipping the PvM element of the game, which they, unlike you, dislike (and have a right to), and going straight to PvP. Some people find that it's worth it to spend money to skip PvM. People have different definitions of fun.

Unless, of course, you're implying PvP is not part of the game.

Also, I agree with hating on the lack of mods. Mods should always be part of every game whenever possible. But the lack of it certainly deter me from having fun with Diablo III!

So because you didn't nobody did? :P I happen to really enjoy Median XL for D2 - it's the only reason I still play. WC3 is indeed a totally different level of modding. Hell, I don't think I've played a vanilla WC3 game since I bought it. :P

When you're at a disadvantage because someone spent $50 to pimp out their character it makes the game a lot less fun. And sure, you can buy gold for Wow. You can also get your account disabled / items removed doing it which deterred a LOT of people from ever trying.

More people play vanilla D2 than do people who play mods. When I play online lately (and yes I still play if you haven't seen my other thread), I see as many people/games as when the game first came out, and even two years later. I had never even heard of mods for the game until I saw the posts in my thread. It's not that I don't want to play mods, it's that I have the regular game to play still and it is still fun for me.

Meh, we obviously have different views on what happens in games. I frankly don't care if someone spent $50 to "own me." It is their money, they can do with it whatever they want. And like others have stated, you say the PvP made the game less fun but then you say the items runs, etc were what made the game fun. You can do PvP or item runs... You don't HAVE to do both. I rarely, if ever, PvP anymore.

In addition to this, by saying that item runs and time investment are what made Diablo II fun, you're saying that PvP was not an element of fun in Diablo II for you, which means that you won't be "owned just because some arse decided to spend a bunch of money" since you'll be sticking away from the arena in Diablo III anyway. (You can't declare hostility in normal lobbies).

PvP certainly made DII fun - I was just saying that I find it crazy that people would pay money to skip other fun parts of the game. :P

Make money playing video games? Is that a dream come true :whoa:

It has been reality for a long time, but it doesn't work like most people think. The people who make money have several computers running bots 24/7 farming for items.

The auction house thing does ruin a lot of fun but it's inevitable thanks to d2jsp already conquering that ground.

Finding random items on your own was the funniest part in D2 to me, but seems like all items will be for sale at a cheap price thanks to botters. I hope Blizzard has something up their sleeve.

PvP certainly made DII fun - I was just saying that I find it crazy that people would pay money to skip other fun parts of the game. :P

Some people don't like to PvP and some people don't like to farm for items..

It has been reality for a long time, but it doesn't work like most people think. The people who make money have several computers running bots 24/7 farming for items.

The auction house thing does ruin a lot of fun but it's inevitable thanks to d2jsp already conquering that ground.

Finding random items on your own was the funniest part in D2 to me, but seems like all items will be for sale at a cheap price thanks to botters. I hope Blizzard has something up their sleeve.

The amount of legit traders on D2JSP far outweigh any that buy FG.

All legit trades from two of my active months. To put it into perspective 1 SoJ = 10-15 FG. That's a lot of SoJs.

Aug 2009 Total Transactions: 45 · Gold In/Out: 663.00 / -465.50

Sept 2009 Total Transactions: 86 · Gold In/Out: 1,131.00 / -111.50

It's simply a matter of economics. To make a trade both parties need to have something of want. Rarely does that happen. So instead we take fiat money, no intrinsic value but we say its worth something, and trade that. Both parties always know that FG although worthless outside of the community, has value inside. You can trade or receive it for items and services and always know someone else will want FG too.

If you ever enter a Trading Server on Diablo 2, you will see people offer things you never want. With duped items, you never want to accept SoJ trades with random players. I only trade for SoJs with reputable players on D2JSP.

In conclusion, D2JSP is not bad to the gaming community, its a god send. It removes many risks and makes trading much easier to both parties. Now I'm going to take my Macro Econ final exam :P

The amount of legit traders on D2JSP far outweigh any that buy FG.

All legit trades from two of my active months. To put it into perspective 1 SoJ = 10-15 FG. That's a lot of SoJs.

Aug 2009 Total Transactions: 45 · Gold In/Out: 663.00 / -465.50

Sept 2009 Total Transactions: 86 · Gold In/Out: 1,131.00 / -111.50

It's simply a matter of economics. To make a trade both parties need to have something of want. Rarely does that happen. So instead we take fiat money, no intrinsic value but we say its worth something, and trade that. Both parties always know that FG although worthless outside of the community, has value inside. You can trade or receive it for items and services and always know someone else will want FG too.

If you ever enter a Trading Server on Diablo 2, you will see people offer things you never want. With duped items, you never want to accept SoJ trades with random players. I only trade for SoJs with reputable players on D2JSP.

In conclusion, D2JSP is not bad to the gaming community, its a god send. It removes many risks and makes trading much easier to both parties. Now I'm going to take my Macro Econ final exam :P

D2JSP currency is a joke because a 5 minute photoshop signature nets you over 100 fg. I bought my barbarian that way lol.

D2JSP currency is a joke because a 5 minute photoshop signature nets you over 100 fg. I bought my barbarian that way lol.

That depends on how people put value on real world services. I wouldn't pay that much for a signature. If you consistently get that price for it, you either are really good at photoshop or you find some really dumb buyers.

That depends on how people put value on real world services. I wouldn't pay that much for a signature. If you consistently get that price for it, you either are really good at photoshop or you find some really dumb buyers.

I'd say it's really dumb buyers, but it's another reason I like Blizzard's auction house system more, you can only get money by injecting money into your account, and not receiving currency based on how people value whatever is done to acquire said currency (which is not at all consistent).