Diablo 3

tkrow21

For D2 fanatics that never played any other Action-RPG, then yes, they probably could have just released a graphically-superior "D2-reboot" and those people would think it was awesome. However, for those of us who have played other Action-RPGs since then, like Titan Quest and Torchlight, or even Fate, you quickly come to the realization that D2 only maintains its allure because of the nostalgia factor and games since then have improved drastically in practically all other areas of the genre.

I have played both Titan Quest and Torchlight, and I honestly prefer Diablo 2 to either game.

Titan Quest had me at about 6 or 8 hours, Torchlight for 2, and Diablo 2 for thousands.

Edited by tkrow21

I have played both Titan Quest and Torchlight, and I honestly prefer Diablo 2 to either game.

Titan Quest had me at about 6 or 8 hours, Torchlight for 2, and Diablo 2 for thousands.

I've played Titan Quest for about 125 hours in a little bit over a year (I bought it march 13th 2010), you ought to try it again.

I put way more hours into D2 as well, but how many of those D2 hours were within the first few years it was out? TQ has way better graphics, better physics, better story, arguably better item randomization (as Diablo's uniques were often OP), more realistic item drops (eg. archer drops bow), unlimited portals, and the best class system of any Action-RPG to date. Torchlight and Fate added pets (not via a pet class) that could be sent to town to sell items and unlimited random dungeon crawling. Both TQ and Torchlight added mod support (D2 could be somewhat modded, but only "legally" in non-b.net). Torchlight added achievements, which you can be sure there will be in D3 since SC2 has them.

The point is, a simple graphical reboot of D2 would not be enough for most people.

I put way more hours into D2 as well, but how many of those D2 hours were within the first few years it was out? TQ has way better graphics, better physics, better story, arguably better item randomization (as Diablo's uniques were often OP), more realistic item drops (eg. archer drops bow), unlimited portals, and the best class system of any Action-RPG to date. Torchlight and Fate added pets (not via a pet class) that could be sent to town to sell items and unlimited random dungeon crawling. Both TQ and Torchlight added mod support (D2 could be somewhat modded, but only "legally" in non-b.net). Torchlight added achievements, which you can be sure there will be in D3 since SC2 has them.

The point is, a simple graphical reboot of D2 would not be enough for most people.

My problem with Titan Quest is that while it has an online portion to the game, the community is an absolute failure. While this might be because I bought the game so late (2010), and the community has already diminished, Diablo 2 is still an active game and it's been a much longer time since its release. This is pretty important to me, because, keep in mind I'm a lot younger than most people here. I'm only 16, and I grew up knowing I could hop on my computer and play with my friends, that I didn't have to sit alone clicking my mouse, and singleplayer doesn't quite connect with me as well as multiplayer. This would also explain why Torchlight was not an automatic favorite of mine despite being developed by the same people as Diablo 2.

Now you know what RPG I sunk a lot of time into? The Mythos beta, under Flagship Studios. The game wasn't even released and it had a really healthy online community, but because of Hellgate: London's failure, the studios shut down, and Mythos went down with them.

Hell, I haven't even finished the campaign for Starcraft 2, and I've put thousands of hours into the game.

As long as Diablo 3 lets me hop into Skype or Ventrilo and laugh with my friends as we play the game, I'm sure it'll be successful for me, whether or not it has unlimited portals and realistic item drops or not. Both Titan Quest and Torchlight didn't give me this, and that's why it didn't keep me playing.

Also, I played Diablo 2 mostly from 2002 - 2008, quite a long time after it was released.

I've played Titan Quest for about 125 hours in a little bit over a year (I bought it march 13th 2010), you ought to try it again.

I've tried it like 3-4 times already. -.-

Edit: I know trying to understand me is like hitting your head into a brick wall, I know the feeling, but I acknowledge that Titan Quest and Torchlight improved on Diablo 2, but that their ultimate lack of an online community (playable) made it a turn-off for me. Since Diablo 3 is guaranteed to have a huge following, I know I won't have this issue with the game, and I'm in fact planning a small LAN party of sorts for the midnight release. That's why I'm so hyped for the game.

Edited by tkrow21

I've tried it like 3-4 times already. -.-

Edit: I know trying to understand me is like hitting your head into a brick wall, I know the feeling, but I acknowledge that Titan Quest and Torchlight improved on Diablo 2, but that their ultimate lack of an online community (playable) made it a turn-off for me. Since Diablo 3 is guaranteed to have a huge following, I know I won't have this issue with the game, and I'm in fact planning a small LAN party of sorts for the midnight release. That's why I'm so hyped for the game.

Maybe you oughta try putting together an online game in Titan Quest, you can't really blame the game when you put more effort into one over the other.

Personally I like Diablo 2 more than Titan Quest or Torchlight because I enjoy Diablo 2 dark settings, it really make it feel like a land over run in darkness, where as Titan Quest has the sun shining most of the time, or Torchlight is just a little too cartoony looking. However Titan Quest's portal system is pretty nice. :D

Edited by Deathmineral

Edit: I know trying to understand me is like hitting your head into a brick wall, I know the feeling, but I acknowledge that Titan Quest and Torchlight improved on Diablo 2, but that their ultimate lack of an online community (playable) made it a turn-off for me.
What is wrong with single player?

I had dial-up internet growing up and ALMOST never got to play online for long periods of time, even with Diablo II (at that point I was older and had a steady internet connection around 2002) I rarely ever played it online either.

I've put more single player offline hours into Diablo II then I've put into all other multiplayer games combined.

You just have to make due with what you can, Titan Quest has an amazing backstory and plot structure (at least in my opinion) if you like mythology then you should definitely just give in and try some single player.

I had dial-up internet growing up and ALMOST never got to play online for long periods of time, even with Diablo II (at that point I was older and had a steady internet connection around 2002) I rarely ever played it online either.

I've put more single player offline hours into Diablo II then I've put into all other multiplayer games combined.

You just have to make due with what you can, Titan Quest has an amazing backstory and plot structure (at least in my opinion) if you like mythology then you should definitely just give in and try some single player.

:withstupid:

I understand your argument about multiplayer and cannot knock you for having that as a major contributing factor in determining what game(s) to play. I've played D2 and TQ both as single player and multiplayer. My first run in both games was through single player, although my "single player" play was on B.Net for D2 just so I could then join multiplayer games and trade when I wanted. The main appeal of D2 multiplayer were the "runs" - cow runs, baal runs, etc. It'll be interesting to see if D3 can have such runs with the supposedly more random nature. But no matter what, as you said, the online community will be huge.

The main appeal of D2 multiplayer were the "runs" - cow runs, baal runs, etc. It'll be interesting to see if D3 can have such runs with the supposedly more random nature. But no matter what, as you said, the online community will be huge.

Hopefully we will be able to reset such events without having to leave that server. If its a static event like killing a prime evil. Hopefully randomized dungeons will be able to be reseted on the fly inside a server (like resetting dungeons in WoW).

The one thing I didn't like about runs is that if someone who was in the last game and didn't get into the next, they would create the next iteration when the runners were in the current one (screwing up the order). That and when you got the "fail to create server" message haha.

Why do I prefer multiplayer over singleplayer? Well, it's quite different for every game I've played, so I'll go through them pretty quickly.

Diablo 2:

Multiplayer is the same thing as singleplayer but with more - the ability to trade, get assistance, and of course, play with your friends. No reason to prefer singleplayer here.

Counter-Strike (1.6 and Source):

These games don't even have a singleplayer option, but being in teams and making friends in the game is pretty awesome. A couple of my best friends I met in Counter-Strike many years back. The community for this game is also pretty huge - modders, directors and entire teams dedicated to making movies, e-sports in Europe, bigger playerbase than any CoD game, etc.

Starcraft 2:

The campaign didn't keep me going at all, I stopped after a few missions. However, the multiplayer is really addictive. The e-sports scene is bigger, on an international level, than any other game, and the sheer amount of tournaments and players to watch online is quite astounding. The continuous stories and plotlines created by the players and figures in the e-sports scene are probably more engrossing than the pre-determined and scripted story in the campaign.

These are the three games I've played to a great extent, and those are my reasons for preferring multiplayer to singleplayer.

Diablo 2:

Multiplayer is the same thing as singleplayer but with more - the ability to trade, get assistance, and of course, play with your friends. No reason to prefer singleplayer here.

AGREED

But when you can't play mutliplayer you can just play single player, with Titan Quest you can play either with the same character just by hoping onto a server or hosting your own game.

But when you can't play mutliplayer you can just play single player, with Titan Quest you can play either with the same character just by hoping onto a server or hosting your own game.

Love that kind of setup, what the FPS Brink is using but that's another topic.