Headphones as playback device in Windows7

sack_patrol

so how come it sounds differently if it's the same thing? If the sound card thingy and the one in my first screen shot are the same thing, then they should both be set to headphones, yet they are not.

windows 7 is pathetic.

EDIT: What I think is that an additional option for Headphones should exist here:

2010-05-16_011724.jpg

yet it doesn't...there is no reason for it to not be there.

Edited by ballist1x

so how come it sounds differently if it's the same thing? If the sound card thingy and the one in my first screen shot are the same thing, then they should both be set to headphones, yet they are not.

windows 7 is pathetic.

EDIT: What I think is that an additional option for Headphones should exist here:

2010-05-16_011724.jpg

hmm this is quite the sound dilema; what do you think would happen if you uninstalled and then reinstalled you sound card drivers...have you had any changes to mobo drivers lately, or updated bios?, what about microsoft updates, i.e. w7 updates downloaded and installed?? is there a chance that something like that may have changed some settings??

hmm this is quite the sound dilema; what do you think would happen if you uninstalled and then reinstalled you sound card drivers...have you had any changes to mobo drivers lately, or updated bios?, what about microsoft updates, i.e. w7 updates downloaded and installed?? is there a chance that something like that may have changed some settings??

I have tried to reinstall, no changes to anything. All I've ever needed to install is sound, graphics drivers. That's it. Everything else seems to work find without any additional installs (unlike XP).

I read around and it seems that my game sound option isn't changing because of the cfg file being a read-only file, thus I get the console message I posted in my first post. Though I checked my cfg file and it's not read-only....so there is no reason why the game would restrict this. It should have nothing to do with the Windows sound options. I'm really puzzled by this since before with the SAME Windows and sound card settings as the ones you are seeing in the screen shots, I was able to change the in game sound option to whatever I want.

In css beta, I can change to "Headphones". BUT, once I exit and re-enter the game it will be put back to 7.1 or whatever, where as in css it won't even save for the game. Small difference, and irrelevant I think.

windows 7 is pathetic.

2010-05-16_011724.jpg

This only controls the number of channels in the sound. Headphones are normally 2 channel, so they would be stereo.

Try reinstalling the games, since you said they were working before.

Edited by TheHippi

This only controls the number of channels in the sound. Headphones are normally 2 channel, so they would be stereo.

Try reinstalling the games, since you said they were working before.

I did. :P No dice.

I really think it's from the game though... What I tried today, was that I entered a game to play, then went in the options and set the Sound thigy to Headphones, pressed Apply BUT didn't close the window with "OK". This way the sound stays the way I want it to. But after I exit the options window or the game it gets reset.

I guess this problem is more related to the game and not so much to the OS.

I might post it on the css steam forums as soon as I get my registration validated n stuff... It seems that after u activate ur account u gotta wait till the admins approve and then I can post...

I did. :P No dice.

I really think it's from the game though... What I tried today, was that I entered a game to play, then went in the options and set the Sound thigy to Headphones, pressed Apply BUT didn't close the window with "OK". This way the sound stays the way I want it to. But after I exit the options window or the game it gets reset.

I guess this problem is more related to the game and not so much to the OS.

I might post it on the css steam forums as soon as I get my registration validated n stuff... It seems that after u activate ur account u gotta wait till the admins approve and then I can post...

May god help them.

Be careful on the Steam forums they are very very anal about things, I have had 3 forum accounts banned from there. I got a private message from a moderator the other day because I was "spamming" a thread. All I did was try to point out a spelling mistake some guy made in his thread title.

May god help them.

Be careful on the Steam forums they are very very anal about things, I have had 3 forum accounts banned from there. I got a private message from a moderator the other day because I was "spamming" a thread. All I did was try to point out a spelling mistake some guy made in his thread title.

tell me bout it >.> sigh.

anyway. I got a response and I'll see how it goes.

EDIT: didn't help.

Please clarify what your headphones are, I would gladly help.

You can also try to edit the .cfg file yourself.

Headphones are Yamaha RH-5Ma

I did try to edit the cfg file in CSS and it didn't work.

I tried adding a different cfg that some people say fixes the problem but also didn't work.

Check this out: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14986189&posted=1#post14986189

I play alot of CS:CS and L4D2 as well, and I can tell you that whatever you change in the game settings, as has been stated, will not change where the sound is outputted through your computer! I don't have the same sound card you have, actually just have the onboard Realtek HD audio manager but, when i am switching to headphones for gaming, then I have to go into my Realtek control panel,"right click" the Headphones tab and set the headphones as the default device as shown below. Again, I know you have a different sound card, but is there anywhere in your card's control panel that will let you set a default device?

realtecaudioss.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us