Town Blackout

Hey all,

So about an hour ago the city power went out. aside of my computer not wanting to turn back on after the blackout, I managed to snap a few photos! if you remeber a few threads back I wanted to do some astrophotograhy and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it? Well I ended up buying good lens and that solved 90% of my problems.

Anyways the Photo is a link to a flash gallery if you want to see more of them. Also shoot me a PM if you want some help, I might have a few tips depending what you have.

_MG_2804.jpg

Flash Gallery

That's nice :)

Shoulda put up a picture with the normal city light levels lol

I'm jelly, all we have here is borin auld stars

Intersting enough as I was getting a shot of the stree the lights kicked back on.

If you lived in a darker local. you could snap a few 20-30 second images and use an image stacking program to make some killer images.

Edited by OwinC

I did some test HDR images . Because stars move fairly fast most looks bury If you do that . I found a math equation in my astronomy classes that explains how long your maximum exposure can be with stars moving . For a 50mm lens its 12 seconds . I was using a 85mm at 10 which barely made it .

of course I could just exposure for the sky and than do a HDR of the ground, than photoshop them together , I didn't think of that unil now . next time I guess .

• 4 weeks later...

So what if you wanted to do something like have the tree stand perfectly still (not blurry) and wanted the sky to move without being discolored from the over exposure. 

Disclaimer: I know very little about photography. I have a canon rebel Xsi and I simply like to play around with it, so I do not actually know much about how to use the more advanced features when I need to take a pic of the night sky.