New system build - would appreciate some feedback :)

viperk1

Well, the general feeling I'm getting is that I can go ahead and pull the trigger and this will last me til my next computer with no problems :woo:

Fogel, what you're describing will probably be my next computer. This system is only the second one I've ever built and it's a big leap forward from my current one, haha.

Cap, you must keep warm in winter with those 7 computers :lol: Silence will definitely be one of my targets on the next build.

The main reason I watercool all my set-ups isn't just for the performance gains (it's more of an added bonus). I do it because I wouldn't be able to stand the noise of having 7 computers in one room running at the same time. If you came into my home office, you wouldn't be able to tell that I had 7 computers running at all, much less if I had all of them running load tests - except by how warm the room was. :P

Oh don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with OCing or having a WC rig(s). At some point I will want to try a full WC system myself and when I do I will definitely want to push my OCs as well. I really don't want to burn any bridges because I will totally need help when I decide to try. :lol:

My comment was more directed to the OP's needs. He is building an extremely well powered machine as it is. I was just explaining that he still has room to grow with a 750W psu and making the jump to 680 SLI is more than enough of an upgrade. If he wanted to worry about OCing those video cards he would have the additional expense of not just the PSU but the cooling as well. Since he has no current plans to WC the additional expense really doesn't justify worrying about it at this time.

I probably could have made my point clearer, but I'm not awesome so I still need work. :P

Well, the general feeling I'm getting is that I can go ahead and pull the trigger and this will last me til my next computer with no problems :woo:

Absolutely :cool2: (this emote needs more love)

Oh don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with OCing or having a WC rig(s). At some point I will want to try a full WC system myself and when I do I will definitely want to push my OCs as well. I really don't want to burn any bridges because I will totally need help when I decide to try. :lol:

My comment was more directed to the OP's needs. He is building an extremely well powered machine as it is. I was just explaining that he still has room to grow with a 750W psu and making the jump to 680 SLI is more than enough of an upgrade. If he wanted to worry about OCing those video cards he would have the additional expense of not just the PSU but the cooling as well. Since he has no current plans to WC the additional expense really doesn't justify worrying about it at this time.

I probably could have made my point clearer, but I'm not awesome so I still need work. :P

Absolutely :cool2: (this emote needs more love)

Not defending watercooling, either, just giving my reasons. ;)

As for a 750W PSU, these days everything is more efficient. I have an i7-2700K at 4.9GHz, two overclocked GTX 680's in SLI, and an overclocked GTX 570 as a dedicated PhysX card. When running the Batman: Arkham City benchmark at the highest settings with PhysX enabled, the highest wattage read I got via my Kill-A-Watt was 588 Watts on an AX1200, which is about 88 - 90% efficient. A 750W is all you need these days unless you're wanting to run four cards.

That is awesome, ...surprised tho that is the most power draw you have had. :cheers:

Yeah. I once had an i7 920 at 4.0GHz and two GTX 460 1GB's in SLI. Once I overclocked those suckers at 1.212V's, my Kill-A-Watt read in the high 900's, I think.

Yeah. I once had an i7 920 at 4.0GHz and two GTX 460 1GB's in SLI. Once I overclocked those suckers at 1.212V's, my Kill-A-Watt read in the high 900's, I think.

I think that is what most of us come to think when we debate what PSU is needed for SLI/CF rigs ...though I still can't help but say, Wow!

Quite the difference - glad to see that both GPU and CPU manufacturers are thinking of ways to reduce power constraints.

Hey guys, here's my current build. Comments or suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

Background info - Location: Toronto; Budget (Used/Max): $1,695/$1770.00. I'm willing to go a bit above budget.

CPU.....................$350: Intel 3770K (change to 3570K maybe?)

Motherboard..........$195: GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) (needed for DTS Connect, beats buying a discrete sound card)

Cooling.................$ 90: Corsair H100 (want to reduce weight on mobo because case is on the move a lot. Plus nice and neat)

Memory................$ 45: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz CL9 (It will actually fit since I've got the H100)

Graphics...............$600: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 680! (To be released soon hopefully. If not, then some other kind of 680)

Power...................$140: Corsair HX750 (can't go wrong here)

Case....................$155: CM Storm Trooper (Handle for portability was key! )

Storage................$120: Mushkin Chronos 120GB (cheap and well reviewed. I already have HDDs to use for storage)

Cheers!

Pretty close to what I plan on building in a week or so.

----------------------

Intel Core i5-2500K/3570K ($220)

AMD HD 7950 ($400)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ($150)

Corsair H100 ($110)

Corsair 650D ($190)

Corsair AX750 ($115)

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3-1600 ($50)

Patriot Pyro SE ($180)

Totals $1475 and $1330 after combos and MIR's.

----------------------

The UD5H, I believe that has the same audio features as the cheaper D3H that I plan on getting, or am I wrong? The only difference I see between the two boards is the number of SATA3 and PCIe3.0 slots. May be a way for you to chop $50 off your build.

If you buy the blue Corsair Vengeance modules you can get the HX750 combo and chop $15 bucks off. They're also letting you use the 15% off Corsair PSU code which takes another $22.50 off the PSU.

Where are you getting the H100 for $90? I was going to link you the H100 + GA-Z77X-UD5H combo that saves $10, but if you're already saving $20 off of the H100 it's a worse deal. lol

Are you just over estimating the price of the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 680 or will they really charge a $100 premium for the triple fan configuration over the single fan 680s? If so, is it really worth it?

Edited by tbris84

I guess this is a canada vs usa price difference thing? haha. Are you buying from newegg.com? I'm buying from various retailers in Toronto. That AX750 for $115 is a great deal.

For the motherboards, the D3H has the VIA VT2021 while the UD5H has the Realtek ALC898. I emailed gigabyte and they said only the UD5H and sniper lines have the dts encoding.

The H100 I bought from canadacomputers.com when it was on sale earlier this week. It looks like it was around $80 on April 8th too, but I missed out on that sale.

I definitely over budgeted for the video card. Better safe than sorry, hehe.

Yes, I'm in the USA and I'm purchasing from Newegg.com. I think the AX750 is too good to pass on, especially with the $20 mail in rebate I forgot about which makes it $94.50. As far as the motherboards, what benefit is the DTS? I've never been to picky about my onboard sound.