Your Sound Equipment

Fogel

For a more in-depth take on my hardware...

The Sennheiser HD-555 headphones offer a very large soundstage thanks in part to their open design. Sounds feel just a bit more alive across the entire spectrum and you truly feel like you are at a concert because the sound just wraps around you. Their open design also means you hear everything going on around you, useful for when trying to tell if someone is talking to you, but it can distract you from the moment when you actually do realize the barking dog is your own and not from the game/movie.

The Sennheiser HD-280 Pros are a closed design, so you get excellent sound isolation from everything outside. Put those on, play a bit of music or a game, and you will not hear anything going on around you until the sound stops. The soundstage is nice and with some tweaking of the sound settings from the source, can deliver any spectrum you want. They are bass lean but also bass capable (to steal an expression from hardnrg), meaning the bass will not be overpowering unless you want it to be. My head was ringing after a little while after I tweaked the low end on my sound card and loaded up Mass Effect. That low bass rumble in some of the underground areas felt like my head was going to explode because of just how low it went.

The Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition is my first headset in regular use since the PC150 many years ago. The PC-350 are similar to the HD-380, and share many of the characteristics just with an included microphone. I find the PC-350 a bit more comfortable than the HD-280 Pros, not just because of the padding but because of the depth of the ear pieces. The HD-280 Pros have a very shallow interior ear piece, so the speaker can rub against your ear. The PC-350 does not have that issue, but has a very similar soundstage to the HD-280s otherwise. Closed design, but you need an amp capable of driving them due to the 150 ohm impedance. Since I got them last October, I have not used anything else.

I like LPs (records) and CDs for there excellent playback Quality, I do prefer them over all other mediums. I guess you could say I am an Audiophile. I might take some pics but I don't see anyone posting so oh well. Here is my system...

Turntable--VPI ScoutMaster with a JMW Memorial tonearm and Grado Signature needle

CD Player--Meridian 808.2 (it has no preamp because I wanted to use my own)

Preamp--Audio Research Reference 3

Amp--Krell 200C

Second Amp-- Audio Research Reference 110 Stereo

Speakers--Dunlavy SC-V (I like the full range of these and they are huge!)

Subwoofer--Velodyne DD-12

Power Conditioning--PSaudio Powerplant premier

Edited by Black64

So normally I'm a set and forget it kinda guy, but I figured there was a way to get more "soundstage" (if that's the right word) out of my DT 990s. So I up'd the volume on the iPod to half and lowered the gain on the amp a setting or two. :woot: O my dear goodness! I was listening to a song by Afro Celt Soundsystem and when the guy is playing the kora it felt like he was plucking the strings right by my ear. I could hear the intial vibration as well as when it was settling back into place.

Though sadly I had a rock song right after on the playlist that starts off with a very loud rift so having the volume turned up halfway and being amp'd really put a hurtin' on my drums. :lol:

But man I am addicted to this sound now. I listened to it before training and even though I got home late and was going to bed at 2am I had to listen again! There was song I always kind of liked but wouldn't classify it in my Top 20 ...now with the DT 990s I can't stop listening to it. The layers and textures in that song are unreal. I hear tube amps are best with Beyerdynamics. If they were cheaper and easier to buy, such as on Amazon, I think I would have already bought a Woo Audio 3. They used to sell the Schiit Valhalla on Amazon ...used to. That is more in my price range ...though I still need to think about that.

Good idea!

For my home theater it's as close to flat in frequency response as possible from ~15 Hz on up. I tend to like it a little heavier on the low end for movies so it's got a bit of a bass shelf from 80 Hz down but it still sounds freakin' good with music. If I leave the subwoofer off it's flat down to roughly 40 Hz or so just from the mains (they have 12" woofers). I'm driving it with my HTPC which surprisingly sounds pretty amazing with the onboard sound. There's no detectable noise floor or distortion - and there's certainly no roll-off on the low end that used to plague onboard sound in the past. :lol:

Maybe if airman drops in sometime he can give an opinion on it. Personally I love it. :)

I think I want to hear your system the most, simply because of just how custom built it is. That is awesome! Though I have to be honest, I'm no audiophyle and that post made absolutely no sense to me. :lol:

For a more in-depth take on my hardware...

Thanks BP, good to see someone spend more time! :biggrin:

I think I got the reject model of the Sennheisers because mine do not fit any of your descriptions. My dad has Senn's and he loves his.

I guess you could say I am an Audiophile. I might take some pics but I don't see anyone posting so oh well. Here is my system...

Post some pics! Pics are always welcome... plus it sounds like you got a beast of a system!

Goes for anyone, post as many pics you want. Focus in on a button, I don't care. We are guys, we love electronics and we love our toys.

Edited by Fogel

For headsets I am using sennheiser pc151's.Had them for quite a while and actually enjoy them.As you can see my system is older(built in winter 08) and have a x-fi extreme gamer sound card.Not going to upgrade audio wise or anything til my next build.

BTW,nice set-up you have there Black64

As for other audio equipment here it goes:

Living room

Receiver- Pioneer VSK-21TXH Elite

Speakers-Polk monitor 60's L/R

Polk CS2 Center

Polk FXI A6's surrounds bi/dipole

Blu Ray-Samsung BD-P1590

Spare/computer room

Receiver-Pioneer SC-05 Elite( ICE powered Class D amplification)

Polk RTi8's

Polk CSi5 center

Polk FXi A4's bi/dipole

Blu Ray-Pioneer BDP-05FD Elite

Pioneer-DVL-919 Laserdisc/DVD player(Gotta love the lossless audio.Most of my laserdisc titles sound better than the DVD version)

Amp- Marantz MA500 mono block x2 bridged @360w

CD/SACD player-Denon DVD-3910(coming this week)

Subwoofer-either an Epik,HSU or Velodyne.With in a few weeks

Currently selling my RTi8's and center to fund for some new RTi A7's

Here are a few pics

Receiver

post-14919-0-35832000-1327976555_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-32666100-1327976901_thumb.jpg

Mono-blocks

Blu Ray/Laserdisc player

post-14919-0-19925800-1327977000_thumb.jpg

Speakers

post-14919-0-52536900-1327977588_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-63396200-1327977609_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-85522100-1327977656_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-36355400-1327993463_thumb.jpg

post-14919-0-90291300-1327993608_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vooduu

Some pics of system(I will add more pics later, these are just the ones I found quick.)

Meridian 808.2

img0408oi.jpg

Here is the Dunlavy SC-V without grills and you can see Meridian 808.2 as well. I had to move my amp temporary because of my move.

img0407m.jpg

Edited by Black64

Right on, bring on the pics!

Wish you guys would share your awesomeness and let the rest of us suckers know how those high powered systems sound. I want details! :evilgrin:

:lol: Well unless you want someone to go buy a mic and do some measurements, there's not much to say about high-end systems other than "it sounds real". :P

:lol: Well unless you want someone to go buy a mic and do some measurements, there's not much to say about high-end systems other than "it sounds really, really friggen awesome man!" :P

Not true slacker! (see post #28)

You didn't even take the time on your own statement. :P

Do I even dare start typing this post? lol... ok....

Home office/studio (speakers)

Audigy2 ZS Hotrodded (LM4562, Blackgate)

Van-Damme Silver/OFC custom interconnect

M-Audio Studiophile AV-40 monitors

BK Gemini II sub

Home office/studio (headphones)

AMB Gamma1 DAC

AMB M³ headphone amp

AKG K 701 (custom Silver/OFC starquad recable)

Home office/studio (turntables)

2x Technic SL-1200Mk3 with Concorde Elektro carts/stylii

Vestax PMC-002

Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Home office/studio (music)

Yamaha CS1x control synth

Roland UM-1G

Akai MPKmini

Portable

Cowon iAudio X5L 30GB

Westone UM2 (Shure Tri-flange > Bi-flange)

Lounge

X-Fi XtremeMusic Hotrodded (LM4562, Blackgate, cancelled-decoupling)

CD: Technics SL-PG580A

Tape: Technics RS-TR474

Amp: Technics SU-V620

Sub: Canon SB-20

Speakers: 2x Tannoy 631SE

Stands: 2x Atacama SE20

Work

Jazz JS2202AA

Oh yeah Fogel, I'm afraid I can't really describe well enough in words how they sound, but all bar the JS speakers sound like real life, they're a bit warm and a touch wholesome with the bass, but believe me when I say I've invested in the highest quality bass and overall sound I could afford when I've made each purchase, so they're far from brash... a lot of my stuff is modified or even built from components.

Am I happy? Was it worth it? Yes and yes.

Do I yearn for more? No, not really, I'm very content with what I have now. :)

:music: