new mobo no post dead cpu?

as Im sure many of you are aware, my mobo decided to catch fire on me a few weeks ago. (if not here is a link to the thread about it) I finally got a replacement through the RMA process and it was a new mobo. I installed all the components and turned it on, and I get no picture, no post, and no code beeps. I tried removing pci cards, went down to 1 stick of ram. tried each stick in each slot, made no difference. Im starting to suspect that my cpu may be dead.

A few notes of all that happened with my cpu.

when removing the HS, to send the mobo back, the thermal paste was strong enough to pull the cpu out of the socket along with the cooler, even though the socket was still in the locked position.

while trying to remove the cpu from the cooler, I placed it over a lava lamp to try and heat the paste enough to twist the cpu off. didnt work.

after an hour of waiting for the paste to weaken, I gave up, and decided to try very gently to get the cpu to sit in the socket without removing the cooler. that didnt work.

I then put the cooler & cpu in the oven and set it for 185f. I dont think either component actually got that hot, as I was able to twist the cpu off with my hands unprotected.

I went to clean off the thermal paste residue, and noticed that several pins were bent. I bent them back into place with a mechanical pencil, and checked that it seated properly in the socket, which it did.

does it sound like the cpu is dead, and if so do you think I killed it, or do you think its dead from the capacitor blowing on my old mobo? and if not that, and ideas on why it wont post?

Edited by Savan

The very 1st thing I would check is cpu power! Take the heatsink off and power the system on with a finger ready to power it back off. Put another finger on the cpu to see if it gets hot. If it does not, almost always means that the cpu is not getting any power, which is usually a faulty mobo! If it does get hot but you can't get anything to post and you have checked the RAM, then I would say you have a bad cpu. But, I have bent cpu pins many times, got them back into place, and they worked fine! I know when I have gotten the pins back to a position where cpu would seat right in the mobo, they worked. But, if you got a different mobo, have you made sure the RAM is compatible?

Just rem to shut the system down immediately if the cpu starts heating up ;)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

in all my years of fooling around with pcs, ive never managed to bend cpu pins hahah and ive removed cpus with the cooler still attached.. n locked int he mobo, and ive used screw drivers to pry them off again hahah

but ive never had a dead cpu.. ever :)

i removed the heat sync, which bent some more pins, and after some swearing, I straightened them and re installed the cpu, and powered on the system with my hand on the ihs. It did seem to get warmer, but only very slightly, and it took quite a while. I dont know how long it should take to warm up, but I dont think it got hot enough quick enough. do you think its dead?

i removed the heat sync, which bent some more pins, and after some swearing, I straightened them and re installed the cpu, and powered on the system with my hand on the ihs. It did seem to get warmer, but only very slightly, and it took quite a while. I dont know how long it should take to warm up, but I dont think it got hot enough quick enough. do you think its dead?

The cpu will instantly get hot (not warm) once the system is powered up! If the cpu never got hot (not warm), I'm talking like hot to the touch, then I would try the cpu out in another mobo if you can! If you don't have that option, then I would RMA the board, because if you are getting power to the cpu, then it will get hot. However, if the cpu is done that is def another explination! Do you have another mobo, or a friend with a mobo with the same chipset to test out the cpu on?

this mobo is brand new. just got it back as an rma from my old board which had a capacitor blow on it. It never got hot. I could barely tell that it was any warmer than room temp even after a minute or 2. Ill see if I can find someone with the same chipset to test it in, but Im fairly certain that the cpu is a goner

did you try a different power supply with it??

I remember I thought both my motherboard and cpu were bad and it turned out to be my psu

This is also a good point! But, don't think for a second that your newly returned rma mobo has to be good! If you have all of the pins bent back and the cpu has no problem sitting in the chipset, then more than likely everything is good there! But, if the cpu doesn't get hot upon power up, the 2 things I am doing is checking the psu (as ivi suggested) and checking my mobo, becasue you are not getting power to the cpu.

Everytime I have thought my cpu was bad, it always turned out to be something else ;)