Turning PC into Whole Home DVR

Savan

So my cable provider just switched to encrypted digital and I'm being forced to pay for set top boxes. I don't like the idea of being ransomed to utilize a service I'm already paying for and I REFUSE to pay $25 a month for the "privilege" of renting a single dvr. So Im trying to figure out how to turn my computer into a whole home dvr using a cablecard adapter. I had a digital dvr thanks to a suggestion earlier, but once it became encrypted it stopped working.

Here's what I have so far. I can either use an HDHomerunPrime which has 3 tuners and is onsale for $130, or I can get a Ceton InfiniTv4 which has 4 tuners for $200. I can hook either up to my computer and use Windows Media Center or XBMC to watch and schedule recordings.

Then comes the tricky part. How to get the tv and recordings off my computer and onto the TV's. None of my tv's are smart tv's and none are HD. I have 2 ideas:

First is using Chromecast ($35) the HDMI dongle that uses your wireless network to stream content to your tv.

Issues with that: How do I use a remote to change channels? I know I can use my phone to send things to Chromecast, but is there

a way I can use my phone as a remote for WMC or XBMC? and second: Chromecast is an HDMI dongle, is there an adapter thats female HDMI to male coax or to RCA?

Second option is using the PIVOS XIOS DS ($100) which natively supports XBMC and can access the network either wired or with an adapter ($13), and has an available remote ($25)

Issue being its going to be pretty expensive to hook each tv up to the system.

So is there a better way of going about this? I think my understanding of how to get my computer to function as a DVR is fairly sound. My major issue is weather there is a better way to get the tv and recordings to my tv's.

XMBC has a smartphone app that acts as a remote. Regarding the tuner cards I've no experience.As for how to get the tv and recording from your pc to your tv, can't you just get a cable from your pc to your tv and then use XMBC for everything? Making your tv a big monitor.

Short Term:

There are HDMI to RCA converters out there, found a random one for $33 + FS. The first review says they got this unit working with their Apple TV streaming NetFlix.

Long Term and Best Option:

Better off getting new TVs. Save up and get a few $200-300 HDTVs.

Remote:

Get a wireless remote and not an infrared one. With a wireless remote you don't need line of sight to use it and it can travel through walls, granted not at very extreme distances. My wireless keyboard for HTPC works like 30 FT away. I'm sure there are phone apps for WMC too.

I got a wacky setup myself. HDTV with DVI input (but doesn't support PCs) and audio receiver with no HD inputs haha. Thankfully the HDTV's DVI port accepts the PC signal and I can hook up optical out from the PC to the receiver. I currently live with my parents, so don't feel like upgrading everything and taking it all with me when I move out haha.

Edited by AZNguyen