Amd Athlon X2 7750 Benched

Nemo

Guest ajmatson

You also have to take into the fact that most games are still single or double threaded and not optimized for Quad Cores. Once developers move on there will be a huge difference. Also look at the issues that the chip has with memory latency compared to the Phenom X4 on the same board. It is a nice little chip but nothing to write home for :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems the best thing to compare this to would be X2 5200 as that's a K8 running at the same frequency. Then we could see if the K10 really adds anything more than the K8 does at the same clock. Or better yet, the X2 5050e. It's only 100MHz slower but is a 45W CPU. Do you get anything extra for double the TDP? (And why is the 95W TDP listed here as if it was a good thing?) I seem to remember when the Phenoms first came out, the review seemed to suggest that in single threaded apps, they weren't any faster than K8. So why do we need to move away from K8?

I personally think the 45W K8's are great low end CPUs. They perform similar to the low end C2D/Pentium that generally cost more and I like the AMD chipsets which are cheaper than similarly spec'd Intel chipsets. I'm waiting to see how the new 45nm AMDs are going to do, but don't see any reason to pick up a 7750 over any K8 at this point.

Some things I don't get about AMD

Why they limit their appeal to enthusiasts.

Why they create another dual core for $90. (Why wouldn't you just get a Phenom? The price range is similar, but the Phenom is futureproof)

WHY WHY WHY not make it overclock like a champion?

*sigh*

I love you AMD, but you need to give me a reason to, And I haven't been feeling the love. We're breaking up.

Edited by Kuronin

During the HD Tune burst speed testing I noticed all of the Intel chips outperformed the AMD offerings all on a similar level, what's up with that?

Motherboard/chipset differences. I never look at such pages in CPU reviews because they are totally motherboard dependent.

Guest ajmatson
<br />Motherboard/chipset differences. I never look at such pages in CPU reviews because they are totally motherboard dependent.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agreed however all Intel CPU's were run on the same board and all AMD CPU's were run on the same board. Just an FYI :)

Why they limit their appeal to enthusiasts.

Care to explain?

I'm in the process of building an internet / word processing rig with a X2 4850e with my girlfriend...

For reference...That little 45W processor is FASTER than the one in my rig...and you don't want to know how much an Opteron 180 (110W) cost several years ago (Believe me, it dwarfs the $500 I spent on a 4400+ X2)

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I now see what you're getting at. I don't think AMD is trying to limit their upper end, it's a byproduct of their older tech. Just wait and see what Phenom II brings... ;)

Guest ajmatson

AMD is shooting for the mainstream market not really trying to limit the Enthusiast. The Phenom II is looking to be geared toward the enthusiast market but right now AMD is shooting for the best bang for the buck theory from what I have viewed. Lets all just keep fingers crossed for the next generation Phenom's.

Nice review. I particularly liked that the 7750 was tested at various gaming resolutions.

I was a bit surprised that an E5200 wasn't thrown in as a comparason as that would be the natural competition to the 7750. It would have been nice to see how the two scaled against each other in the gaming tests.

oh and add me to the list of people who think this cpu would be quite at home in a budget gaming machine.

After looking further into this, the 7750 appears to be a dual core Phenom...slightly different processor technology at play here. Better clock-per-clock performance than the K8's.

I'd also like to see it compared with a Brisbane level processor, but, unfortunately, not many AM2 processors are floating around much.

The TDP on these makes me sad <_<