Foxconn 790gx Motherboard Tested

Nemo

Guest ajmatson
Only one if you do it right the first time... ;) lol

I would like to nab one of these to play with....look fun

With Phenoms it is a task especially dependent on the chipsets. THe average for the 9850 seems to be about 3.1GHz on high end boards. ;)

With Phenoms it is a task especially dependent on the chipsets. THe average for the 9850 seems to be about 3.1GHz on high end boards. ;)

It's way more about memory subtimings than any chipset....the chipset just makes it a little easier as noted by AMD....200mhz for most people...

Even if Memtest says the memory is fine...it's not...;)

It's way more about memory subtimings than any chipset....the chipset just makes it a little easier as noted by AMD....200mhz for most people...

Even if Memtest says the memory is fine...it's not...;)

true that. the southbridge did help alot though. 200-400mhz like you say. makes 3ghz much easier

• 2 weeks later...

I have this Foxconn A7DA-S motherboard with the following other hardware:

Athlon X2 4850e

2Gigs-Wintec AMPX (3AXT6400C4)

WD 6400

LG GGC-H20LK

Also Nero 8 with Blu-Ray plugin.

I can't get Blu-Ray movies to play smoothly. As soon as the video starts, the CPU usage goes up to 100% and the video becomes jerky. The sound is OK sometimes, then will get very bad. Foxconn support is trying to help, but their response time is glacial. Thought I'd throw out a line here.

Last night I did a reinstall of XP Pro with Cat 8.9 and the latest drivers from the Foxconn website. BR performance still very poor.

On a side note, the driver CD supplied with the mobo had only a few drivers on it (for XP, anyway), downloading drivers from Foxconn is very slow, and I'm getting very frustrated with this model.

Any help or fresh ideas to help me get this board performing as advertised will be welcome! TIA

Well, I decided to give Foxconn support another chance. After a few back-and-forths, a BIOS update (which I don't think helped) and a switch to CyberLink 8 (which I think did help) and I'm now watching "The Golden Compass" in Blu Ray at ~20% CPU usage or less with the onboard graphics. Now I need to modify a S/PDIF bracket for the board so I can feed the audio to my receiver.

• 1 month later...