Heatsink Lapping Guide

Bosco

Thanks D3. I wasn't sure if i needed to lap my stock intel fan, but i saw the bottom of it and it was scratched from constant removal! Well i lapped it to a near mirror finish (couldn't get the perfect mirror finish like you did) and well i went down 10 degrees celcious!!! Im amazed, but the only concern i have is that when i apply the AC3 on the lapped heatsink, it seems like it just rubs off. I think its so smooth it doesn't need AC3, but put it on anyway! THANKS!

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at both the guide and psykos!s post ....

Guide is great, however as someone new to thinking of lapping a heatsink, let alone a CPU, while the guide itself doesnt mention obtaining a mirror finish, with most guides I have looked at including this one, people seem to want to make a point of how mirrorlike or closeness to mirrorlike they can get, or obtain for a flat surface. Images speak volumes as well as words, and if the guides author was not to go for the mirror like finish to it, then images as such can contradict to the uninformed.

As to psykos!s first post, have to agree 100% with his facts, not about whether or not who is "right".

You have two surfaces that are going to be involved in heat transfer, ideally if they were both flat to a mirror finish and sufficient pressure were holding them together, no thermal compound would be needed at all.

If you are going for efficiency, you definately need some metal to metal contact, which is much better than going metal thu compound to metal.

Lapping is to make it flat, but no one is going to get it to the degree necessary that no thermal com pound is needed, so you then when applying it want to apply and then scrape with a razor blade on the CPU, the compounds purpose to me is more to replace air (as written in the guide) but you need to have an abundance of metal/metal as well.

Onwards we march...

• 1 year later...