First OC :P (need a bit help)

regalis

Hi my old pc's psu died a few days ago and i decided it was time for a upgrade :) .

The new parts are underway and i would like to overclock my cpu. My soon to come new motherboard does have OC genie II but is that any good?

New Pc specs:

Core i7 2700k

MSI Z77A G45

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo

8gb kingston hyper X @ 1333mhz

EVGA gtx 660ti 2gb signature 2 edition

xfx pro xxx edition 750w psu

i would like 4.3 ghz or something close to that, will that be possible? Like i said it is my very first OC :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a decent build that should run at 4.2 or 4.3 no problem, imho I''d oc from within the bios as oc software tends to give the cpu more voltage than it needs causing higher temps and eventually will shorten cpu life.There are a lot of guides out there for oc'ing these boards and always dl a temp monitoring program to keep a check on your temps.Also dl cpuz and prime 95 to test for stability.

Welcome to OCC ! :)

Add an extra fan to that CM Hyper 212 EVO and you could get it to 4.5GHz with decent temps, depending on your voltages. You're using a MSI board, so LLC voltages will be a lot higher than a good ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte MB. 4.3GHz will be easy to do without any issues.

Yea and i dont want to go too extreme and would be happy with 4.2-4.3 ghz.

I have been reading a bit and as far as can understand :P, you need the fsb to be as high as possible and the multiplier as low? Is that correct?

To achieve stable 4.2GHx, you don't need to do much.

Just increase vcore to ~1.3-1.35V and increase multiplier to 42.

Run stability tests.

If the system is stable, then try to decrease the vcore until you get a optimum sweet spot.

Yea and i dont want to go too extreme and would be happy with 4.2-4.3 ghz.

I have been reading a bit and as far as can understand :P, you need the fsb to be as high as possible and the multiplier as low? Is that correct?

No, actually with the 2600 and 2700k models just bump up the multy to what you want, 42 or 43 and cpu voltage as little as possible to get stable and you will be fine, they don't like  fsb more than 5 or so mhz higher then stock, at least on my cpu. :no:

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Hey Reg, just wanted to drop in and add my thoughts.  Many of us are old school when it comes to overclocking, so I tend to stay away from "auto" overclocking utilities and do all of my adjustments directly through the BIOS.  Overclocking a 2700K to 4.2 or 4.3Ghz is usually a walk in the park.  

Check to make sure your motherboard came with the latest BIOS revision - if not flash to the latest.

Once you get your build done make sure to run Memtest for an hour or so at stock BIOS settings.  If that passes, go ahead and install the OS, drivers and Windows updates and get your OS straightened out before you begin overclocking.

At this point you are ready to start overclocking.

1) make sure you are running the latest BIOS - if so load optimized defaults and reboot.

2) click the OC (overclocking setting) tab in the click BIOS - make sure you select "standard" mode from the top (there are three options, namely; eco mode, standard mode, OC Genie II mode)

3) scroll down and make sure that CPU Base Frequency is set at 10000

4) adjust cpu ratio - change from Auto to 42

5) dram frequency clock - change from Auto to 1333

6) dram timing mode - change from Auto to Manual

7) advanced dram configuration - set the four primary memory timings according to the specs of your memory modules

8) cpu core voltage - change from Auto to 1.28v to start with

9) vdroop control - set to 80% to begin with (may be able to reduce once you get stable) - the key here will be finding the vdroop control value that maintains load cpu voltage near what you have set as the cpu core voltage (i.e. 1.28v)

10) dram voltage - change from Auto to the voltage according to the specs of your memory modules

You shouldn't have to change anything else.  Save changes and reboot.  Perform a short run of Memtest, 30 minutes or so just to make sure.  If it passes load into OS and run Prime95 or OCCT for a couple of hours.  If all this passes you can perform extended test runs of Memtest and afterwards Prime95.  Personally I run Memtest overnight.  If that passes I run Prime95 overnight.

Good luck.

how do i check the bios version and if necesary how do i flash it... how do i find my dram memory timing specs and dram voltage...

and im using my old hdd woth os and everything so no need to install that(right?)

BIOS Version - should be shown on boot screen, or alternatively enter the Click BIOS II menu and if I recollect your BIOS revision level and revision date are noted on the main screen right under the current time and date.

Memory timings and voltage - should be included on a sticker that is affixed to the memory modules, if not look it up online

If you are going to re-use the original OS installation there are some steps and precautions you should take to make sure that you can boot into Windows without issue.  You can find multiple threads here at OCC dealing with "do I have to re-install my OS".  

Personally, if I'm changing brands or chipsets I always choose to do a fresh install, but it isn't absolutely necessary.