HDD failure?

malmsteenisgod

Hi OCC, I might have a problem with a hard drive, but to clarify up front, I'm running a Patriot Wildfire 240GB SSD with a Windows 7-64 install, plus drivers, common programs, etc., and a Hitachi 1TB HDD for games, music, movies, etc. and both seem to be having some strange issues, so here's what's going on.

• World of Tanks (on my HDD) crashes on startup even after reinstalling
  • Skype (also on HDD) can't start because of a "Disk I/O error." I tried to uninstall Skype but it failed to uninstall.
  • Dropbox (also on HDD) is reporting an error and can't start. Uninstalled successfully.
  • Saving any screenshot from MS paint or with the snipping tool is always corrupted, regardless of if I save it to my HDD, SSD, or a USB.

Now suspecting I had a hard drive failure on my hands I did the following:

• ran the Hitachi drive check and it returned no errors
  • I then ran the Windows disk check on both drives with no errors. 
  • suspecting it could be a RAM issue, I ran Memtest for 2-3 hours with no errors.
  • tried to install World of Tanks on my SSD and it still failed to run

So I accept the fact that maybe the disk check just can't find an error even though there is a problem. It's unlikely that my SSD is the culprit, but World of Tanks not running from either drive, and Windows utilities (MS paint and snipping tool) not being able to save files properly... that just seems strange. So what else could I do to isolate the problem?

Thanks guys.

Yea, I don't know what the issue could be, so although I don't really want to do a reinstall, I'm hoping that will solve the issue, so I'll probably try that later.

Yeah... do you have another computer (with its own OS), maybe a friend's/family member's, that you could try saving and accessing files from your drives on? That's all I could think of for testing them before the wipe. It sounds softwarey though

Have you done a chkdsk /f on your HDD?

I just tried your suggestion and it didn't find any errors.

So I decided to do a clean install of Windows. I backed everything up and just did a quick format of both drives using the Windows installation disc. Then when I tried to install Windows I get this error:

Windows cannot copy files required for installation. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570.

I tried installing Windows on both drives and the same thing happens. I ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool and it didn't detect any errors. I'm still looking for a solution but I'm all out of ideas.

Edit: My Windows installation files could be corrupt, so I'll try to get a new one.

It appears that the built-in SATA drivers aren't recognized during the Windows 7 extraction portion of setup,.. are you running the latest BIOS update,.. is your BIOS set to Autodetect/AHCI,.. if so change to autodetect/ATA.

That is the most common reason for code 0x80070570,.. but bad RAM and hardware compatibility can also cause it,.. another reason are folders on your C: drive starting with $ (dollar sign). Delete those and the problem may be resolved. Make sure you show hidden and system files in windows explorer options.

Good luck,.. hope this helps

Edited by Braegnok

I got it sorted out guys. Thanks for your help. I put another copy of windows 7 on a different flash drive and had no problems installing and no problems since. So as far I can tell there are no hardware issues. Maybe Windows just got corrupted somehow.  :dunno:

I'm just glad it's working now.

I got it sorted out guys. Thanks for your help. I put another copy of windows 7 on a different flash drive and had no problems installing and no problems since. So as far I can tell there are no hardware issues. Maybe Windows just got corrupted somehow.  :dunno:

Called it! :D

Glad you're A-ok!