Best Free Proxy, Joining FB

SpeedCrazy

Not illegal if you agree to their terms of service.  The primary thing about FB (beyond disguising your IP behind a proxy or VPN) is to understand and adjust all of your privacy settings.  By default, most of the settings are as "loose" as possible and likely share more information than most people should be comfortable with.

But to some extent you can lock your account down to the point that you can manage what personal information is getting out in the wild.  Now of course, that won't protect you from getting hacked, or FB using your personal information without your knowledge or approval, and of course won't protect you from the over-reaching implications of the Patriot Act and domestic snooping / spying.  For all that stuff you're on your own   :)

Not illegal after i accept their terms of service, but to have that info before i do. before i even hold an account... Sounds to me like the feds won't have to worry about making a national registry, zuckerberg will do it for them. i have all my privacy looked down, but unfortunately not all my friends are as careful and i am sure they share loads of info unintentionally or unthinkingly.

AS to paragraph 2... well it was all possible before facebook....

Also make sure that if you are using the mobile version of FB on your Android or iPhone that you lock down location services.  If not FB will throw up your location on "Places" whenever you access the FB application.  Say you're sitting at the local bar with your girlfriend and you post on FB that you're sitting at the local bar drinking a beer.  Pop - it's on your places map, then your boss sees it and wonders why you called into work sick..............  Or you can probably imagine other worse scenarios.

Also make sure that if you are using the mobile version of FB on your Android or iPhone that you lock down location services.  If not FB will throw up your location on "Places" whenever you access the FB application.  Say you're sitting at the local bar with your girlfriend and you post on FB that you're sitting at the local bar drinking a beer.  Pop - it's on your places map, then your boss sees it and wonders why you called into work sick..............  Or you can probably imagine other worse scenarios.

If i ever graduate to a smart phone i will keep that in mind.

Not illegal if you agree to their terms of service.  The primary thing about FB (beyond disguising your IP behind a proxy or VPN) is to understand and adjust all of your privacy settings.  By default, most of the settings are as "loose" as possible and likely share more information than most people should be comfortable with.

But to some extent you can lock your account down to the point that you can manage what personal information is getting out in the wild.  Now of course, that won't protect you from getting hacked, or FB using your personal information without your knowledge or approval, and of course won't protect you from the over-reaching implications of the Patriot Act and domestic snooping / spying.  For all that stuff you're on your own   :)

Good info here. Not many people know about the whole privacy settings deal, let alone what their account looks like to a stranger looking for info. 

If you really want a facebook account, but don't want to give away information, just make a fake account (which is what I use).