First time OC, need some advice.

Oshimoto

Hello,

I am wanting to OC a FX-6350 becasue it is bottlenecking my GPU, a Radeon HD 7950, and am in need of some advice or confirmation. I want to be able to get as close as possible to 4.5 Ghz without blowing it up or getting new parts.

I am to understand that I should set voltage to 1.42 and the multiplier to 42, is this correct? Also do I need to do any prep before hand, like disable any systems in bios, I have gotten yes and no answers to this. I already have my monitoring software.

Also if anyone has use a Gigabyte 970A-D3P I would like to know how it went and if it is a good mobo to OC with.

I am running Air Cooled not water cooled, is 4.5 Ghz still viable?

Here is the rest of my specs in case you need them:

GPU- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 w/ Boost

CPU- AMD FX-6350
MOBO- Gigabyte 970A-D3P
CPU Cooler- Gemin II S524
PSU- HEC 850TS

Thank you for any help you can give, I just want to know absolutely what I am doing before I go in.

First, welcome to OCC. :)

If you are completely new to overclocking i would suggest looking up some guides on the internet and get some knowledge on the said subject.

Your cpu isn't bottle-necking your 7950, just so you know, it is the other way around :P

Regarding the motherboard, don't expect miracles.

Set everything to default before changing anything, this way you have total control on what you do and you know you didn't mess anything else up if the overclock should fail.

Do not ever let anything set to auto regarding voltage control in the motherboard when you are going to overclock.

The motherboard has a tendency to over-volt the components when you are overclocking with auto settings and it is more a bad thing than a good thing.

If you are overclocking the CPU with the FSB (front-side bus), keep in mind that the RAM you have in your system needs to be lowered in speeds in order to get a stable overclock.

Because if you increase the FSB, you increase the whole system clocks including RAM. Also, keep in mind when you change the FSB and RAM speeds, there is a good chance you need to increase the voltage of the RAM depending on what speed it runs at. Personally, i never go above 1.65 volts on the RAM and for AMD CPU's i never go beyond 1.4v.

Also keep in mind that AMD CPU's get hot very fast and they are not build to get hot, so i would suggest not getting the temp above 65c.

If you are overclocking your CPU with the multiplier you don't have to lower the RAM speeds because the multiplier doesn't increase the system as a whole, but only the CPU speed.

Get some temperature monitoring programs like RealTemp and get a stress testing program like prime or intelburntest to see if your clocks are stable.

Oh and disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet! in the bios as well.

First, welcome to OCC. :)

If you are completely new to overclocking i would suggest looking up some guides on the internet and get some knowledge on the said subject.

Your cpu isn't bottle-necking your 7950, just so you know, it is the other way around :P

Regarding the motherboard, don't expect miracles.

Set everything to default before changing anything, this way you have total control on what you do and you know you didn't mess anything else up if the overclock should fail.

Do not ever let anything set to auto regarding voltage control in the motherboard when you are going to overclock.

The motherboard has a tendency to over-volt the components when you are overclocking with auto settings and it is more a bad thing than a good thing.

If you are overclocking the CPU with the FSB (front-side bus), keep in mind that the RAM you have in your system needs to be lowered in speeds in order to get a stable overclock.

Because if you increase the FSB, you increase the whole system clocks including RAM. Also, keep in mind when you change the FSB and RAM speeds, there is a good chance you need to increase the voltage of the RAM depending on what speed it runs at. Personally, i never go above 1.65 volts on the RAM and for AMD CPU's i never go beyond 1.4v.

Also keep in mind that AMD CPU's get hot very fast and they are not build to get hot, so i would suggest not getting the temp above 65c.

If you are overclocking your CPU with the multiplier you don't have to lower the RAM speeds because the multiplier doesn't increase the system as a whole, but only the CPU speed.

Get some temperature monitoring programs like RealTemp and get a stress testing program like prime or intelburntest to see if your clocks are stable.

Oh and disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet! in the bios as well.

Wow, thanks for all the great info! Helps me a lot.

I knew I said I was bottlenecking the wrong thing, i just wasn't sure, thanks for the clarification.

I have found a guide but it isn't for my motherboard and I can't find all the features they have in mine. Also I have dug though my bios and haven't seen a way to turn off Cool n' Quiet or Turbocore, I have heard turning these things off is pretty much essential so if I can't turn them off then I don't know what to do. I'll take another look into it, maybe I just missed it, although I think I went through every option in my bios looking for it already.

I'm not expecting anything close to a miracle to come out to this mobo, I know it isn't the best, I am just hoping to get close to 4.5Ghz with it still being stable, since that is what seem to be common in the world of Overclocking.

I'll be sure to set everything to default before beginning and take control of voltages.

I think I am overclocking with the FSB, but if I just changed the Multiplier I wouldn't have to worry about the RAM? Right now my ram is running at 1600 Mhz so would changing the speed decrease the efficiency to an outstanding degree? Also, what is the difference between OC with the FSB and OC with the Multiplier, do some mobo's not have the multiplier? Because I do not remember seeing it in mine but I may have just missed it since I wasn't looking for it.

No worries on the temp, if my CPU hits anything close to 60c I am resetting it, right now it barely hitting 25c under load so to see such an increase in temperature would frighten me.  

I already have Prime 95 and Core Temp, would RealTemp be better or can I just stick to CoreTemp?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for all your help. As I said I just want to know what I am doing.

sry for jumping in, i also have a post about clocking but not many replys. got mine on auto atm and jumping up to 1.488v so im a little afraid atm haha

No problem, any help you get will probably help me as well. TBH I think jumping all the way up to 1.488v is a bit much for 1) a first time OC and 2) the starting point of your OC. If it were me I would probably start a little lower, test stability then go higher if need be. No point in blowing up your computer if it is easily avoided, but hey, I'm new to this as well so maybe 1.488v is a good place to start so don't take my word for anything.

Edit: From what I heard 1.4v exactly is where you want it for a 4.5ghz clock, once again don't take my word on it. Also it may be (probably is) different if you have a different CPU.

Edited by Oshimoto