Windows 8 Consumer Preview Now Available

90sgamer

Did anyone try this registry hack to disable the Metro UI in the Dev Preview?

http://www.mstechpages.com/2011/09/14/disable-metro-in-windows-8-developer-preview/

1. Open regedit by typing regedit at the Start screen.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

3. Modify the RPEnabled key to a “0” instead of the default “1”.

4. To return to the Metro UI, just change the value back to a “1”.

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know if it works with the Consumer Preview as well.

The Win 8 Dev team must be freaking trolling desktop users by not adding an option in the control panel to disable Metro UI. :vmad:

I couldn't care less about tablets. I don't even have a smart phone. Custom built desktops FTW

Even if I did get a tablet, my number one use of it would be remoting into my desktops :lol:

http://www.mstechpages.com/2011/09/14/disable-metro-in-windows-8-developer-preview/

1. Open regedit by typing regedit at the Start screen.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

3. Modify the RPEnabled key to a “0” instead of the default “1”.

4. To return to the Metro UI, just change the value back to a “1”.

I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know if it works with the Consumer Preview as well.

The Win 8 Dev team must be freaking trolling desktop users by not adding an option in the control panel to disable Metro UI. :vmad:

I couldn't care less about tablets. I don't even have a smart phone. Custom built desktops FTW

Even if I did get a tablet, my number one use of it would be remoting into my desktops :lol:

The registry edit doesn't work. That key is no longer there and adding it doesn't do anything :cry:

Just think about it like this: now you don't need to buy any upgrades for your Win7 machines when Win8 comes out.

I get the feeling that most people are complaining simply because they don't want to learn a new way of doing things. Yes, the new stuff is primarily for tablets and not intuitive at all for a mouse and keyboard, but in my limited time with it, I feel like I could get used to it. Is it better this way? Honestly I have no idea. Only time will tell.

STUFF

That would be a very bad idea in the consumer preview because you wouldn't have a way to access your start menu anymore.

I get the feeling that most people are complaining simply because they don't want to learn a new way of doing things. Yes, the new stuff is primarily for tablets and not intuitive at all for a mouse and keyboard, but in my limited time with it, I feel like I could get used to it. Is it better this way? Honestly I have no idea. Only time will tell.

That would be a very bad idea in the consumer preview because you wouldn't have a way to access your start menu anymore.

well im used to having my swarm of icons covering a heap of my screens, so the whole metro ui thing is a bit odd

OK, so I'm interested in checking this thing out. Techspot has a guide to run it on a virtual machine but I am unfamiliar with this and have a questions.

I run Win 7 Ultimate but it's 32bit, despite having 4GB of ram. If I install 8 64bit to a VM will it see my ram and use it all as necessary or top out at 3+?

I'm not at all familiar with VM so this whole project should be a great learning experience. THanks

OK, so I'm interested in checking this thing out. Techspot has a guide to run it on a virtual machine but I am unfamiliar with this and have a questions.

I run Win 7 Ultimate but it's 32bit, despite having 4GB of ram. If I install 8 64bit to a VM will it see my ram and use it all as necessary or top out at 3+?

I'm not at all familiar with VM so this whole project should be a great learning experience. THanks

In any VM software you set up the virtual computer. You tell it how much of you RAM to allocate to the VM and it can only allocate as much as the host machine can see. You don't want to give it more than your host machine anyways. You also tell it how many CPU cores to use, what kind of network card.. etc.

Are you using ViritualBox? Here something to get you started: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

I don't use MS Virtual PC, so I can't tell you much about that.

I saw a few people saying that Virtualbox has a problem with the 64bit version too. I recommend going 32bit for the VM.

Edited by 90sgamer

In any VM software you set up the virtual computer. You tell it how much of you RAM to allocate to the VM and it can only allocate as much as the host machine can see. You don't want to give it more than your host machine anyways. You also tell it how many CPU cores to use, what kind of network card.. etc.

Are you using ViritualBox? Here something to get you started: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html

I don't use MS Virtual PC, so I can't tell you much about that.

I saw a few people saying that Virtualbox has a problem with the 64bit version too. I recommend going 32bit for the VM.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I would be using VirtualBox as that was what was recommended in this Techspot article. I guess I will have to go with the 32bit as obviously my current OS only sees most of my ram anyway. This whole thing should be a great learning experience for me. Thanks again :foldon:

Couldent get this up and running on my VMware Workstation setup. Kept getting the new sad face Bluescreen.

Got it installed no problem on my Hyper-V server though.

Cant STAND the Metro UI. It just does NOT work with Keyboard mouse. It also seems like you cant do everything with the mouse. For example, when using this on my Hyper-V host, I was connected to the host via RDP and could not open the "start" menu.

as there is NO button for it, and the only way to open it up is by pressing the Windows Key. However pressing that just opens the Start menu on the server.

In the end had to setup RDP direct to the Win 8 machine to be able to use the Windows Key.

Also could not find a way to get out of a settings menu in Metro UI. There is no "back" or "cancel" buttons. Tried Esc but that didnt work.

I do love the fact that Explorer now gets the Ribbon UI treatment! That looks ace.

I just installed it for the first time.... This is my first experience with Win 8....

Metro UI...

tumblr_lsgu2eVuS61qzdv9i.jpg

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY????!!!!!

We can't let this happen guys. I started a petition to show Microsoft how many people are interested in an option to disable metro UI!

Please sign up!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/disable-metroui-option/

icone-7.jpg

*Why God?!! Why?!!*

I just installed it for the first time.... This is my first experience with Win 8....

Metro UI...

tumblr_lsgu2eVuS61qzdv9i.jpg

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY????!!!!!

We can't let this happen guys. I started a petition to show Microsoft how many people are interested in an option to disable metro UI!

Please sign up!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/disable-metroui-option/

icone-7.jpg

*Why God?!! Why?!!*

signed it, i would use that on my transformer prime, not my desktop