Occ's Second Hd4870 Review Posted

Nemo

I don't understand what that would prove?

You take three good video cards load up a game and get 5 frames. All three cards fail they suck! :unsure:

If you test at playable settings then it gives the reader somewhat of a general idea what a card will do. :)

While I personally agree, to an extent, with that testing methodology, people don't buy a video card to play games at medium settings. They buy one for the best visuals/performance they can get in their budget. So sure, the 4870 does nicely at medium detail settings. What if I want to run games on all maxed settings? Now you have no data to show how well the card performs under those conditions. It really wouldn't be all that bad of an idea to include both playable and maxed out settings, for reference. It's a very modest review policy we have here at OCC for video cards which, sad to say, is why I go to other websites when interested in video card reviews.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't do both most games will not play maxed out with AA on thats why we don't do it.

We use AA to help overload the card that is why we like using AA here at OCC :)

Now of course if you use Quad fire or Tri SLI thats a different story. :rolleyes:

For us to test both maxed out and playable would take way to much time and we just don't have the time to do that.

I can fix this. I tried crysis maxed out with my 2 4850s and it sucked. Case closed.

Crysis doesn't seem to like any hardware. Crossfire in particular scales HORRIBLY on it.

Crysis doesn't seem to like any hardware. Crossfire in particular scales HORRIBLY on it.

Remember the first few days it was out Crossfire didn't work at all until they patched the game. <_>

You can't do both most games will not play maxed out with AA on thats why we don't do it.

We use AA to help overload the card that is why we like using AA here at OCC :)

Now of course if you use Quad fire or Tri SLI thats a different story. :rolleyes:

For us to test both maxed out and playable would take way to much time and we just don't have the time to do that.

I understand what you're saying there, I really do. And I also understand the stress that is associated with reviewing and how you're on a deadline and all that but you're only showing potential customers a part of the picture by limiting reviews like that. As you said most games can't do all max settings +AA/AF but the uneducated consumer wouldn't know. It paints sort of a false picture saying that card can handle a game at medium settings since most folks don't even completely read the reviews, they just look at the pretty pictures with numbers. Overall taking a bit more time to do things that way would really just make OCC's reviews better than the rest, which is obviously a good thing for OCC's future.

Just to summarize(because I'm feeling sassy right now), more time + variety = Greater Quality + Happier customers + Increased OCC popularity. But if you guys want to keep doing it this way, I'm not gonna stand in your way and complain(anymore) It's your site, Boss. Run it how you see fit. :)

I can fix this. I tried crysis maxed out with my 2 4850s and it sucked. Case closed.

That horse has been beaten to a pulp. :rolleyes: Nothing can really run Crysis completely maxed out. <_<

Worth noting that I wasn't continuing the complaint about Crysis performance, my issue is just a big general one.

Edit: Needed some bold in there for emphasis. :P

Edited by iKillSteal

lol

It was that bad was it :lol:

Yup. Why mix words. Crysis may never play maxed out as smoothly as people want it. Hopefully warhead will do better.

Edited by InCrYsIs

I understand what you're saying there, I really do. And I also understand the stress that is associated with reviewing and how you're on a deadline and all that but you're only showing potential customers a part of the picture by limiting reviews like that. As you said most games can't do all max settings +AA/AF but the uneducated consumer wouldn't know. It paints sort of a false picture saying that card can handle a game at medium settings since most folks don't even completely read the reviews, they just look at the pretty pictures with numbers. Overall taking a bit more time to do things that way would really just make OCC's reviews better than the rest, which is obviously a good thing for OCC's future.

Crysis is the really the only game we do this on and its because of that game that I want it dropped completely from our testbeds I can't stand that game.

Yup. Why mix words. Crysis may never play maxed out as smoothly as people want it. Hopefully warhead will do better.

Supposed to be "built" on the same engine as Crysis except heavily optimized. Which means it'll still destroy everything on earth...except it won't be so mean about it.

Crysis is the really the only game we do this on and its because of that game that I want it dropped completely from our testbeds I can't stand that game.

lol, totally understand where you're coming. It just had to be that guy, didn't it.

Oh don't even get me started I could go on about that game all day <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_lol2.gif" alt=":lol:">

The idea behind it was good just the follow through was a little short <_>