P8Z77-V pro won't apply overclock

stueck9356

I have been using manual mode these last few times.

I might just RMA the board.

One thing I noticed, you can set your multiplier from three different areas, under Turbo Ratio, CPU Power Management, and CPU Configuration. If I set my multiplier to 42 under Turbo ratio, that's all that changes. If I set it under CPU Power Management, Turbo Mode option is set to enabled and grayed out so I can't change it. However If I go and set it under CPU Configuration, I can enable or disable the Turbo Mode.

Also, the multiplier for "Turbo Ratio" and "CPU Power Management" under the AI Tweaker are linked, changing one changes the other. However going to "CPU Configuration" under advanced, it will still be set to "auto" and there is where I can enable/disable Turbo Mode even if it is grayed-out-enabled under AI Tweaker.

Sooooo Confusing..

Edited by Snugg

Snug - it probably won't make you feel any better, but you are the third person I've read about in the last couple months using an Asus Z77 board and IB processor that is having problems with "no turbo - no overclock".

The first one is here;

http://forums.overcl...20%20turbo&st=0

The other two are at another forum I spend time at.

At this point nothing tried on any of the three have yielded positive results, so unless someone comes along with a fool proof fix, you might consider exchanging your board, cpu or both if they are still within the return period.

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

you know how sometimes you get a 2 page long topic about how you might have a DOA board.. and you really can't figure out what is wrong? And you try all sorts of crazy duct-tape tests that result in no changes? And then you have an epiphany, or in my case, you enter the right words in google?

forreal.png

Really brah?

Updated to latest BIOS, 1708. All I did was disable HT and any power save features, and set multiplier to 42.

I used this link, and reflashed the entire BIOS like it says in step 5-5. Aparently just doing a normal EZ FLASH II results in certain regions being updated, not the entire BIOS even though stock files from asus contain all of the regions (that is how I read it at least). I'll be full flashing from now on. and LOOKING THROUGH THE SETTINGS THROUGHLY.

Thanks for everyones help though. Learned a lot about the motherboard at least :P

On a side note, does the IB clock just as good with HT on or off? I know my 930 you could get better clocks and cooler temps with HT off. Wonder if it matters on the IB as well.

Edited by Snugg

When you update the BIOS, be sure to reset CMOS. Sometimes it helps.

Attached some pics to help (on a P8Z77-M Pro, but shouldn't be that much different).

Set somewhat similar settings, but don't directly copy the VCore. I have a 3570K that I'm overclocking to 4.6GHz, and watercooled.

121129205557.png

I remember when I was oc'ing my 3930k I had to mess with the Long and short duration power limit settings to get it to actually go up to the clock I had set.. not sure if that's what's causing the issue your having...