Back in (<$1000) Laptop Market

IVIYTH0S

I guess you all must have seen what I did to my old laptop huh? (http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=194942)

Whether you did or did not see that, the bottom line is I need a new laptop.

Minimum Requirements:

1920x1080 resolution

14-15"

Under $1000

2 or more USB 3.0 Ports

HDMI

Favorites so far:

Lenovo Y500 $949.99+Tax=$1015.43$1,179.00+Tax=$1261.53(http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=954135U&category_id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB#techspecs)Core i7-3632QM(35W), Geforce 650M, 1920x1080 Panel, 16GB 1600mhz, 3x USB 3.0, 1TB+16GB SSD(will swap for my 240GB Agility 3)

LOVE my sisters basic Lenovo (G580) which came with an i3/4GB and the build quality is amazing for the price. I recently upgraded it with the i5/8GB (which was very easy to do, and worked perfectly) from my now dead laptop but even before hand it was very fast (like almost as fast as my laptop with an SSD).

The 1TB it comes with can be used to increase my external I carry with me everywhere (currently 750GB), and I wonder if I could install stuff on the small SSD that it comes with (maybe some small Linux and XP partitions for backups?) as I'd have my Agility 3 240GB going into the laptop and wouldn't need the cache drive as such anymore.

The "ultrabay" feature also intrigues me and would help me when I want to do field work with multiply laptop drives and want fast transfer speeds. There's just alot of good stuff here and I think this may be the top pick right now. At minimum it deserves the badass award!

Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition $719.99 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390500711554?hlp=false) Core i5-2450M(35W), Radeon 7730M,1920x1080 Panel, 16GB 1600mhz, 4x USB 3.0, 750GB(will swap for my 240GB Agility 3)

With this laptop I'd get 4 USB 3.0, AMD graphics that are a little weaker than the 650M but still stronger than my old 540M, Dual core instead of Quad Core but like the graphics this wouldn't be a deal breaker, uses the exact same screen my old laptop does (so I could always keep that around as a backup), almost $300 cheaper than the Lenovo, and Dells are always the easiest and cheapest to get parts for. (I love how all their adapters are standardized too!)

It's really a tough choice here, I was looking at Sager laptops(since my 5year old is still running STRONG in the hands of my g/f's sister/mom) but they all use those beefy hideous Clevo laptops. ASUS had a competing product but they didn't offer as much for mid to high $900, I'm open to other choices but I doubt anything will beat these two.

I have to make a decision before the 9th (when the Lenovo promotion ends).

Thanks guys!

WENT WITH THE DELL 15R SE for $574!!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

My older lenovo is still going strong as I sold it to my aunt and a coworker just bought an I3 lenovo laptop for his wife. i set it up for them and it seemed pretty nice. Both of them were more business class than gamer since both had intel video.

My older lenovo is still going strong as I sold it to my aunt and a coworker just bought an I3 lenovo laptop for his wife. i set it up for them and it seemed pretty nice. Both of them were more business class than gamer since both had intel video.

How old is your Lenovo??

My dad has my old HP (6yrs old now) running good (though I did have to bake that since it has an nvidia 8400GS which are known to need a bake after a while) and my last laptop, a Sager, was about 5 yrs old and runs perfect, though I did have to replace the USB 2.0 hub on the right side ($40 for the damn part lol) but it was a great laptop. It's 15.4" 1680x1050 screen was amazing for it's time. I generally have great luck with laptops, though my CyberPower that I just cooked had some quirks that I could live with...I'll never know what happened to it's Display and why that stopped working.

Anyway I guess you're voting for the Lenovo?? My sister's G580 sounds alot like your coworker's wife's and I love that thing.

I started with IBM Thinkpads, the precursor to the Lenovo and since then have owned several Lenovo laptops. As far as I am concerned, I don't think you can go wrong. Yes, you do occasionally hear a support story that places Lenovo support in a bad light, but those stories are rare. Definitely more bang for the buck and the Lenovo Y500 is a primo piece of equipment. Expect a long life.

Damn Lenovo with the landslide though, I'm becoming less interested since they raised the price quite a bit :-/

I thought the sale price was on till the 9th ??? :(
Yeah...I guess the sale is on...but the discount can be changed to whatever they want during this time <_<

My lenovo is about 2.5 years old

Bah!! Let's talk when it hits twice that! :P

I just threw up an offer on a Dell 15R (Special Edition, but only 6GB of memory. Which I can upgrade to 8GB myself) for $570...I mean there's no way the Lenovos are going to be worth the money over THAT price! Hopefully they accept the offer, otherwise I'll just Buy it now for $588 because it's still drastically cheaper than the others in the running.

Edited by IVIYTH0S