HTPC Build

NikoDG

I'm building an HTPC, I want it to have a lot of storage so it can house all my digital media (about 5TB) preferably in a RAID array with some redundancy (RAID 5). It won't be used for anything besides playing media, so computing power and memory aren't of huge concern. Therefore, I'm leaning towards the Trinity APU's as they have superior integrated graphics.

Here's the build I have so far:

CPU - AMD A8-5500 @ $104.99

Motherboard - ASRock FM2A55M-DGS @ $46.99

Memory - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 2x4GB 1600 @ $38.99

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200RM 1.5TB @ $69.99 (x5)

All I'm still really looking for is a case, hopefully with a Blu-Ray Drive included. Any thoughts on a case and PSU to finish off this build? Or to improve this build elsewhere?

If you aren't concerned with CPU power you could easily cut back quite a bit on both your motherboard and CPU. Granted, the CPU isn't all that expensive anyway, but if all you're going to be doing is RAID parity calculations and displaying media you could probably get away with something a lot less powerful.

Yeah, I figured since the 5800K comes with a $10.00 price drop using the rebate code (putting at the same price as the 5600K), there is jo reason not to get it. Do you have any suggestions for the motherboard? It should be able to handle 5x SATA 3 connections, I could probably even drop it to 4x. Decent on-board audio would need nice as well.

2. I would buy 1600 speed RAM instead of 1866 because its cheaper and you don't need 1866 for an HTPC
  3. Like the two guys above me said, you could cut back on the motherboard and CPU if you wanted
  4. Not sure where you are buying the HDD, as it looks like a better deal than what Newegg has on that drive (guessing the 5900 rpm model), but I would go with a higher storage drive to get more GB/$. Such as this drive (this one has free shipping, Seagate didn't) - WD Green - $110. Although I wonder how much of it is gimmick but this drive looks interesting for HTPCs for $10 bucks more per drive - Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB.

The ASRock FM2A55M-DGS will do all the same as the one you have, but under half the price.

The one you have it total over kill for a HTPC.

Go with 1600 ram as well. & AMD A6-5400K as quad core is point less, dual core is all you need. But its up to you.

What is your budget as well?

I changed the build slightly to reflect the suggestions you've given me. I downgraded the motherboard considerably, and changed the memory over to 1600. I stuck with a quad core CPU, though a lower priced one that is locked, dropping the price and TDP. I'm still looking for a decent case though, any ideas? I don't mind if it's somewhat pricey, given it is of high quality and has lots of room for upgrading so it will last a long time.

I prefer the Antec p180 series.... very nice case with great airflow for a media sever... I got the p180mini and stuffed 5 drives in it and its on 24/7

As far as CPU you dont need anything spectacular... the only time mine sees any real use is in using winrar to unpack a file. Other than that it lives happily downclocked and all CPU power features enabled... like Cool and Quiet

This is what I run....freaking awesome little case!!

http://www.techeta.com/antec-isk100-saves-you-quite-a-bit-of-room/

Running with an E350, Sapphire Pure Fusion 1.6ghz (runs so-dimms, which is great for space)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813154019

with one of these to speed things up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139332

and I play my media off of usb, but for you I'd maybe get two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236221

Though with pricing of those being so small you will probably not consider this hardware set (maybe go external USB 3.0 with a 3.5"??)

I just LOVE the size and quietness of the ISK100

Edited by IVIYTH0S