Media Server and/or HTPC build

tbris84

You need to initialize the hard drives as GPT and not MBR. Might have to go into disk management to do that. I don't think Windows 8 prompted me to do that with my 3 TBs.

If you wanted to use the 3 TB as a boot drive, then I think you need an UEFI supported motherboard.

Thanks. Using them strictly for storage.

You can do those in XBMC as well, but I'll give it a shot. I really hate using XBMC's navigation menus once I get a video playing its such a pain.

Of the two my preference is MB and I do all my navigation with my happuenguage remote.

Also MB3 is going to be coming with android streaming etc which will be awesome as well as some other sweat features

Links

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/13138/introducing-media-browser-3

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

Looks great, I'm assuming it'll work with a harmony remote then?

You can do those in XBMC as well, but I'll give it a shot. I really hate using XBMC's navigation menus once I get a video playing its such a pain.

Of the two my preference is MB and I do all my navigation with my happuenguage remote.

Also MB3 is going to be coming with android streaming etc which will be awesome as well as some other sweat features

Links

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/13138/introducing-media-browser-3

http://www.mediabrowser3.com/

Looks great, I'm assuming it'll work with a harmony remote then?

If you have something that works fine with WMC it'll work with MB no issues :)

I totally forgot about an old AMD based PC I had in my closet. It has a Phenom II X4 955BE on an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard with 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws memory and an AMD 5770 GPU. I can totally use this as my storage PC. Any reason not to? I need to find a smaller, quieter case for it though. 

Edited by tbris84

I totally forgot about an old AMD based PC I had in my closet. It has a Phenom II X4 955BE on an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard with 2x2GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws memory and an AMD 5770 GPU. I can totally use this as my storage PC. Any reason not to? I need to find a smaller, quieter case for it though. 

How can you forget about a perfectly fine pc that's still viable today?!  :whoa:   :glare:

Only reason not to use it for storage would be that it's overqualified  :blink: 

How can you forget about a perfectly fine pc that's still viable today?!  :whoa:   :glare:

Only reason not to use it for storage would be that it's overqualified  :blink: 

haha

I don't know, it's old and I've replaced it twice already. I always sell my old to fund the new, but I built two of these and just forgot I hadn't sold the second. I guess the question is, will I have to reformat the hard drives I just installed into my main rig. I put my two 2TB into RAID0 via W7. Can I just swap them into the old PC? If not, no big deal. I'm putting my new 3TB's in it anyway. But I would like to keep all the storage in one machine.

IIRC WinXP is the only one who'd throw a tantrum when you change boards.

I believe W7 doesn't do that any more but since you're using RAID0, I'd say better format those HDDs first.

And I agree with Prunes, that system would be a waste really.. Its even better than my late gaming system.. :wallbash:

Sure can....

You could pull the video card and just run it headless after you set it up.... then just remote desktop into it when you need to. My server is currently running the same CPU and a ECS 785+ board same ram too