Temps for FX-8150

So ... I re-installed the block of the h80. Added A bit more ArticSilver .. and tighten it up a bit more . I think that is my issues .. not sure how thight I sould have the screws .. dont want too brake anything.

Anyhow with it re-applyed and tighter (not maxed on tightness tho)... the Temps dropped A bit.

Now reads (HiWiNFO64)

1) AMD 10h+ CPU Thermal Sensor

CPU 0 6.5c - 7.5c (stock / Idle) & 33.9c - 34.9c (stock / 7min load )

2) ITE IT8721F

CPU 0 28.0c - 29.0c (stock / Idle) & 49.0c - 51.0c (stock / 7min load)

So, that helped a bit with stock... when I try too OC with 1.45v & run Prime i go past 65c (ITE IT8721F) with in the frist test ( dont want too pass 61c)

Not really sure how tight I should do them screw-latch thingies .. i can do more .. but dont want too crush CPU .... .... anyone install one of these on AM3 ? .. did you max the tightness ?

Edited by neko77025

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much thermal paste are you using? To much can hinder temps.

i put just enough that i could spred it out all over the CPU .. used A credit card. When I took off the water block ... i cleaned up what squished out and was a very small (size of pencile eraser) that did not have past on it .. (water block slide ...like it did not make contact or lacked paste) .so put a small dab on that and spred it out .. When i watch ppl do it in videos i think they use alot .. .. so i try to do less then that.

Do not use the credit card method. 1 drop the size of a small pea. The block spreads the tim and fills the voids.Your temps will drop 2 to 5 degrees. The credit card method is absolutely the worst way.

So, just got my FX-8150. Also got A Corsair CH80.

When I try too OC with 1.45 V temps get like 75c when i run prime 95 .. so i stop.

Anyhow .. My Idle temp is 32 - 34 C ... 56c on Prime 95 with stock.

What are yall geting for stock Temps ... and load temps ?

At 4.0 using the AMD water cooled solution my temps were similar under load. For me AOD was about 10C lower than ASUS TuboV readings. It has been board dependent for me as to how far off the temperatures have been with an 8150.

+1

This is the MAX operating temperature. Running at temps higher than this will quickly degrade your chip.

Example: I've had a 920 running higher than 100c. Did the chip still work. Yes. Are those safe temps. No.

Depends really. My CHip will still hit 4.9 after some pretty lengthy Prime 95 runs at high temps.

Something is wrong. Those temps are way high for your cooling. Perhaps your block is not installed correctly.

FYI with custom water setup with Apogee XT rev. 1 and Thermalchill TA 120.3 I get max load temp of 45 celsius at 1.6 volts with 21 ambient on a FX-8150 at 4.6 GHz stable 24/7.

For the H80 or AMD cooling its about right by my testing. Your water loop is much better than any prebuilt will ever be. That Thermalchill Rad is the key there :thumbsup:

Well .. I have tighten up the water block even more and CPU temps dropped again .

Now

2) ITE IT8721F

CPU 0 27.0c- 28.0c (stock / Idle) & 48.0c - 49.5.0c (stock / 7min load)

Started at 34c / 56c today .. so .. looking alot better.

but ... with 1.45v i got past 61c someone fast ... i tryed 1.4 with 22x .. and i get too like 61 ... and it stays their and then jumps too 64 ... oh this . me off.

Update .. so maybe I am doing this wrong ... I am use to my old 965 .. where 1.45v was need..

Just got this thing to run with a 22x @ 1.368v / prime 95 for 10mins no issues .. 60c .. so 1.4 is high for buldozer .. dont rember reading this anywhere ..

Now ..AMD says max temp is 61c ... is the the CPU temp or core temp ? ...

also if I switch out these stock h80 fans with say some Noctua NF-p12 ... think that will help any .. other then sound ? ....

Edited by neko77025

It will only help with the noise

New fans can most certainly drop the temps down. However, the operative word is can and not will. Because you can not chill the water in the loop to below ambient temps (as in physically impossible without using extreme measures) you can only keep the water at 25C (I am going to pretend your ambient temp is 25C). Since you are only breaking 61 and not 91 it sounds like your fluid is being brought down to ambient with the current fans. So no need.

If you feel the need to go with a fan upgrade, use the silverstone air penetrator fans instead. The noctua one will be better, but considering the silverstone ones can cost 10 dollars less and you don't need top of the line fans......save the money ;)

Well .. I have tighten up the water block even more and CPU temps dropped again .

Now

2) ITE IT8721F

CPU 0 27.0c- 28.0c (stock / Idle) & 48.0c - 49.5.0c (stock / 7min load)

Started at 34c / 56c today .. so .. looking alot better.

but ... with 1.45v i got past 61c someone fast ... i tryed 1.4 with 22x .. and i get too like 61 ... and it stays their and then jumps too 64 ... oh this . me off.

Update .. so maybe I am doing this wrong ... I am use to my old 965 .. where 1.45v was need..

Just got this thing to run with a 22x @ 1.368v / prime 95 for 10mins no issues .. 60c .. so 1.4 is high for buldozer .. dont rember reading this anywhere ..

Now ..AMD says max temp is 61c ... is the the CPU temp or core temp ? ...

also if I switch out these stock h80 fans with say some Noctua NF-p12 ... think that will help any .. other then sound ? ....

Take a pic of the rad inside your case. Also you may not have the rad installed with the fans pushing or pulling the wrong way. TJ is just crapshooting as usual stay with me we will figure it out. So far my advise has got you in the right direction. TJ suggesting fans at this point is really pushing his limit as his knowledge. It is where and how you have your rad installed with air flow, the direction of the flow and/or the waterblock installed proper.

You should be getting better temps with your water cooler.

Here is my review on the FX-8150 with a all in one cooler:

http://www.pureoverc...?id=1376&page=1

Lastly, the 920 All-in-One cooler was decent but not breathtaking. This watercooling solution will beat any air cooler period. We pumped 1.575V at 5 GHz and reached mid 80 Celsius temperatures within 15 minutes on a Prime95 run but at 1.525V, temps peaked at 70 and that is well below the max TJ of 90 on the FX-8150, If one desires a better cooling option than today's aftermarket air cooling, the All-In-One is a solid choice not taking a lot of real estate inside your case.
Edited by Drdeath

What were you using to measure your temps? Clearly Coretemp and AOD read incorrectly...

Take a pic of the rad inside your case. Also you may not have the rad installed with the fans pushing or pulling the wrong way. TJ is just crapshooting as usual stay with me we will figure it out. So far my advise has got you in the right direction. TJ suggesting fans at this point is really pushing his limit as his knowledge. It is where and how you have your rad installed with air flow, the direction of the flow and/or the waterblock installed proper.

http://www.pureoverc...?id=1376&page=1

And Dr. Death can't read above a fourth grade level as usual.

Read carefully or you will have egg on your face Dr. Death.

What I was saying is that better fans have the potential POTENTIAL to lower temps. However, I contradicted myself to say that chances are the cooler is operating at peak performance with the current fans. Yet still, because there is no way to test the water temp coming out of the H80 rad, there is not a 100 percent guarantee that the cooler is operation at 100 percent efficiency.

Now mind you, the chances of the cooling rad operating at peak performance is like 99.99% chance. However, because I am a paranoid person when it comes to taking every possible path there is to fix a problem I would switch the fans out only after trying everything else I could. Logically would it make a difference? No. That is why I said to go with the silverstone ones. If it doesn't make a difference then he has at least quieted down his pc and lost 26 dollars instead of 40. Better yet, if it does work, then he just fixed a problem for 26 bucks AND made his PC quieter. I mean .* happens. All I am saying is, if he has tried everything and is out of options, why not try fans? I have seen so much weird stuff with computers, that adding new fans would probably be one of the first things I do with my backwards luck :lol:

So was it a recommendation NO. In fact I was saying to not get new fans for the moment. The only thing I was saying in favor of the fans is that desperate times call for desperate measures so don't rule it out.

So there is a method to my madness Dr. Death, the problem is if I go around writing well thought out responses, they would take up a page. So I try to make it concise as I can and hope that people like you won't try to twist my words.

So let me finish this up with something. I get that my writing style is not the easiest to understand in the world and I was prepared for a lot of misunderstandings, but you Dr. Death are so absolutely wrong about what I say that I am only left to assume you are taking some sort of aggression out on me, or you really can't read at all. I have seen you twist my words (which with in a certain construct means nothing) and I have seen you twist the words of some very intelligent people who are far beyond me and you put together, and then you think they are so far below you. It would be one thing if you had proof that we were wrong, but you usually just misquote us and look like a fool. I mean you are suggesting the rad isn't mounted right, and you want to talk about crapshooting? Even if he has the push pull running as an exhaust rather than an intake, the numbers are still off by a few degrees. Dude you really have some issues that you need to fix.

@OP

Takes this fools advice with a grain of salt. He is not the know all PC wizard he thinks he is. Heck, take my advice with a grain of salt too. At least I know I am not the PC god......though I think Computer Ed and Dr. Death think that I think that I am one :lol:

The peoples advice that you should really be trusting would be

StonerBoy

Boinker

Wevspot

El Captin

Bosco

Blue Monkey

Waco

Taco hunter

If I had a crisis with my PC that I could not solve at all, I would be in good hands if I PMed anyone of those guys. Basically, these are the people who are the PC wizards who Dr. Death wants to imagine himself as.

Also I do hope you understand that you should only get new fans as a last resort or if you feel like you need new fans. I never said that they were the answer to all your problems.

Edit: I forgot nyt ryda and Mythos. There are probably some others that I will find and update this post.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel