Sound, noise, and ear annoying stuff.

Cespenar

I have recently discovered, found out, learned that my water pump is a tad on the overly verbal side. (I have been removing noisy fans, or at least checking them over)

When I read an article, review, opinion about any water pump it seems that they are almost always the quiet one.

I don't believe it! So .........

Can anyone say, with all honesty (this is OCC after all) that a particular water pump is really quiet? Like barely audible?

What pump do you have?

My four rigs in my sig are all under water with the following pumps, all running at full power

rig 1 & 3 have a Danger Den / Laing DDC Rev. 3.25 Liquid Cooling Pump - (12 Volt -18 Watt)

rig 2 has a Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump - Black The pump sits just next to the videocards, this is on my desk at work and can only hear the fans humming away which are slipstream fans

dbcb72e8.jpg

rig 4 Swiftech Apogee Drive II Pump & CPU Waterblock Combo - Sockets 1155/1366 (APD2-1155-1366) all you can hear are the fans running

D98940AA-0DFB-47B3-AAA7-A9611458298D-7018-00000CDBF0AF7A3C.jpg

Edited by olokul

Could also be the way you have them mounted.. I usually use the foam-rubber pad or rubber bushings to seperate the pump from directly mounting to the case.. if there's air in the system you can get a lot of noise from that as well... What kind of setup are you using, what pump/res etc.?

I have MCP655-B's (non-variable) in all my systems, except for a MCP655 (variable), and a MCP35X (variable). I've also tried the MCP355 (non-variable) and an X2O 750 pump/reservoir combo (non-variable).

MCP655 and MCP655-B's are near silent, but it can take a while until all the bubbles/air are out of the loop.

MCP35X is the next quietest, though slightly audible, but can be adjusted for lower RPM's and thus, as quiet as the MCP655;s.

The MCP355 and X2O 750 are the loudest, the MCP355 with a high whirring sound, and the X2O 750 with a slight whirring sound.

The type of reservoir and location of the pump/reservoir combo can also help determine noise/vibration levels. Overall, the MCP655's are the best, can't even hear them. I use the 5.25" Dual Bay Reservoirs (for Laing D5).

Edited by El_Capitan

Could also be the way you have them mounted.. I usually use the foam-rubber pad or rubber bushings to seperate the pump from directly mounting to the case.. if there's air in the system you can get a lot of noise from that as well... What kind of setup are you using, what pump/res etc.?

Thanks for all the replies people. Most appreciated.

I have a Thermaltake P500 pump. It sits on a foam pad in the bottom of the case (it has it's own noise without any vibration to start with). The res is an XSPC single full bay res. I can see it from the front. No bubbles to report. I shake the rad now and again to see if any air comes through.

There are three 120 fans plastic to metal on the front of the case for the rad (it is a T/T Kandalf), the GTX670 fan is 70% but that will be watered soon. there is a small 3900rpm fan on the northbridge fins, and a 120 fan to exhaust. Oh yeah! Also the power supply is a Corsair 850HX and I think the fan in it is a bit noisy. (Normal noise not wearing out yet).

When I think of all this stuff I wonder if I should bother with trying to quieten things down. Of course it can be done but at what cost.

Regards from C..................

Thanks for all the replies people. Most appreciated.

I have a Thermaltake P500 pump. It sits on a foam pad in the bottom of the case (it has it's own noise without any vibration to start with). The res is an XSPC single full bay res. I can see it from the front. No bubbles to report. I shake the rad now and again to see if any air comes through.

There are three 120 fans plastic to metal on the front of the case for the rad (it is a T/T Kandalf), the GTX670 fan is 70% but that will be watered soon. there is a small 3900rpm fan on the northbridge fins, and a 120 fan to exhaust. Oh yeah! Also the power supply is a Corsair 850HX and I think the fan in it is a bit noisy. (Normal noise not wearing out yet).

When I think of all this stuff I wonder if I should bother with trying to quieten things down. Of course it can be done but at what cost.

Regards from C..................

That will produce a bit of noise.

MCP655 and MCP655-B's are near silent, but it can take a while until all the bubbles/air are out of the loop..........................

I use the 5.25" Dual Bay Reservoirs (for Laing D5).

Same here and I can't hear my variable speed MCP655 at all. I've got it set somewhere's near the middle speed setting.

I bet the northbridge fan is the culprit. You can put a straw up to your ear to figure out where sounds are coming from if you have trouble pinpointing them.

How much air speed do you think should be used to cool the fins? Air speed as in RPM.

The M4N98TD EVO is a pipe cooled mobo, and didn't come with a fan. I just use the little fan from the dead Crosshair v1.0. Don't know if it is really needed. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old post. Sorry 'bout that ....

watercool Heatkiller for the 680 installed. 1 fan not on the 360 Rad. Replaced 3900rpm 70mm fan on modem with 1400rpm 80mm.

The rig has lost more than half it's noise now. GPU temps dropped from 72C at 70% to 42C with silent watercooling.

Just sayin' ya know. Not a lot of fans are needed even though the ambient temp was 31C during test.