Watercooling - Finalling having a go, suggestions?

Gr4vitas

I've got another question for you guys, do you recommend any kind of fluid additives, I hear a lot of people praising water wetter (or what ever its called) or some sort of mixture of 50/50 something, then I hear a lot of people saying just use distilled water.

Also should I get ahold of any kind of particular clamps or are the ones it comes with fine?

Oh and why use 5/8 OD over 3/4 OD tubing? Also what really is the difference in all these different kinds of tubing, Primochill Faser Danger Den, is there really much of a difference (other than some kinking a little less than others perhaps). And whats with Tygon tubing?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/4 tubing will be great to use if you can. You may have to get new clamps in addition to the ones in the kit. If you can manage the space go for it get the triple Rad, you will be able to expand upon It and add a gpu block or two to the mix and then you have a Phase two loop that is more then functional. Others then that the only other upgrade would be the pump and Res plus some threaded compression connectors And elbows.

I prefer 3/4 OD tubing too. Regardless of brand, the 3/4 OD tubing seems less prone to kinks. And if the thought of water leaking inside of your case makes you cringe, just hold a piece of 3/4 OD tubing next to 5/8 OD tubing and think to yourself, which one would I rather have plumbed inside of my high dollar rig. The 3/4 OD just gives me more warm and fuzzies. The wall thickness is the secret.

As for clamps, compression fittings look the best and most professional. But good ones are also fairly expensive by the time you but 6-10 of them. I'm a cheapskate, so I just use regular old metal hose clamps :)

I would use clamps over zip ties. I would not use sootiest as they really don't provide much torque and holding power. And plus they make a kink. Clamps also make a kink but there is such a item such as a herbie clip that provides proper torque and does not kink.

As far as water dyes I use feser view active uv dye and it has never stained anything. I also use pt nuke for biocide and it has never failed me. Though many people get away with a kill coil only and never have any trouble.

I'd go with 3/8" ID tubing over 1/2" ID tubing after having used various brands/types of both. The 3/8" is just EASY to work with by comparison and the flow rate differences are essentially zero. I use Tygon Norpene (or something similar to that name :lol:) 3/8" ID 1/2" OD. You could go with the 5/8" OD stuff if you wanted to do tighter bends.

Edited by Waco

Thanks for the info guys, I'll use 3/4 I think and just get some cheapo metal hose clamps or something, are those plastic "zip" close type okay to use?

I've used zip ties before. They'll work fine as long as you get them tight and check for leaks. I prefer compression fittings but they're more expensive.

I prefer the "simple" fittings with metal hose clamps. FrozenCPU's cheapest metal clamps work great, and so do the steel worm-drive clamps from the hardware store. :P

and so do the steel worm-drive clamps from the hardware store. :P

Right on - a man after my own heart. I've used everything (even zip ties). Even those work fine, but they are a pain in the arse when you need to take your hoses back off.

Are 90 degree fittings bad? I've read that they are pretty bad for restricting flow.

Edit: Also I'm starting to think I want to go ahead and build a top end water cooling setup. I get my tax return soon (should be $2000 ish) though I'm putting all of that towards my credit card (will be paid off!) and as soon as I do that I'll have no problem putting down $250 or so on the card for my water cooling.

I've (since last posting) been doing a lot of research, watching a lot of reviews, guides, general WC videos and I'm really feeling like it'd be more worth my while to wait a little bit and just go all out.

Mostly because I'd like to eventually cool my 6970 with water as well, so taking that into account I'm going to want a pretty good setup.

All that being said, suggestions? :P

Edited by Gr4vitas