Windows 8 is broken (RTC)

Waco

Another article: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/164209-windows-8-banned-by-worlds-top-benchmarking-and-overclocking-site

How many motherboard CPU overclocking bundles include software that overclocks, in software in the os, the base clock? Last I saw almost all of them do their adjustments of the base clock in the OS on both AMD and Intel setups.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another good article dave, thanx !,...now that i know the nt 6.3 is the basis for windows blue, (8.1) i'm left wondering if the new kernel will be subject to the same rtc flaw,...so far on this fm2, i haven't noticed the deficiency, but who's to say it's corrected...maybe they knew about it and patched/repaired it, maybe not...we shall see...

...and i don't see the point of you's guys arguing over whether or not it's broken...especially, if the thing is meant to be a type of unified os, developed to work properly in a wide variety of platforms and circumstances, and it isn't able to do that accurately, then it's broken, simple...hwbot has to take a position that affords all benchmarks a fair and equitable chance at achievements, awards and status,  ...the current win8 is out of sync...

So MS pulls the clock differently on various CPUs already so this should be an easy fix should they decide to patch it.

Why they don't use the HPET or actual RTC on x86 systems is still beyond me.

So MS pulls the clock differently on various CPUs already so this should be an easy fix should they decide to patch it.

Why they don't use the HPET or actual RTC on x86 systems is still beyond me.

The reason seems to be cross platform support. Evidently they tried to keep the code similar in many areas and this was one. Again without overclocking, and specifically overclocking the bus speed from a program in Windows there is no issue. I doubt at the end of the day this is about MS pulling the clock differently and more about the way the overclock software works on Intel and AMD.

I started to write a "cool the thread down" request yesterday afternoon, then thought to myself............ no this will sputter out on it's own   :)

I've been wrong a lot lately.

I had thought about making it real fun for you...:lol:

I had thought about making it real fun for you... :lol:

I appreciate you sparing me that grief this week.  I'm still trying to back into the swing of things.

What better than to have to dive right in...

haha. jk jk. I have "nice" moments every now and then. I decide I shouldn't say what I'm thinking...not often though -- so appreciate it. :)